GM Corn at your feedstore.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Oct 31, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Has anyone asked the question at your local feedstore about whether the corn is GM or not.

The answer at my local feedstore was "We can't guarantee it, so many peolpe using so many different types and then cross-pollination, makes us unable to say that."

What about your local feedstore have you asked?

2. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

my local feed store doesn't even know they are selling a type of dent corn.

in their mind, corn is corn is corn

3. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

I would guess it is GMO corn untill proven other wise,

there is not very much corn currently grown that is not some form of GMO, and uslay the elevator does not seperate it out even if it is or is not, all the corn our local elevator is labled as GMO, even if it is not, as the task to seperate is to difficult, and there is not enough current market diffrence to keep it seperate,

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Didn't think such a high % of corn is GMO, but as you say, it is all corn, no one bothers to seperate it, so 20-30% of a bag of corn likely is GMO. Perhaps the market expanded more than I realize, but most folks around me don't go for the $$$ of all those stacked traits.

You would need to look for organic or non-GMO specificly labeled to get 99% non-GMO stuff.

--->Paul

5. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Since the "accidental" release a few years ago of GM corn it is no longer possible to separate it from natural corn. This is worldwide, not just the US. GM strains have been found in even the remotest areas of Mexico in the primitive corn types found there.