Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I don't see how that would work since glycerin is an oily product and would float on top of the water. The water below would still freeze.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I think I remember from chemistry that glycerin is a pretty powerful laxitive.

Edit: Never mind, I think my teacher was telling us what would happen if you drank a lot of it. If you used a little in water, it probably wouldn't be bad. I think it is expensive though.

·
www.HarperHillFarm.com
3,089 Posts
I just make sure that twice each day, I change the water and they will quickly learn this routine in the winter and drink when it's available. Of course, if you want to spoil them, take a bucket of hot water to the barn.:)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was concerned that it might have a laxative effect or interfere with the rumen. A wildlife rehabber I know uses it for her raptors ... I was just wondering if it would be harmful to goats.

Thank you all for your input.

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
I know under the rabbit forum they were talking about Glycerin to keep th water bottles from freezing, I have electric bucks for the goats & in the winter I change the water dishes(I only use the bottles when it quits freezing here in spring) for the rabbits 3 times day. It's a pain for the bunnies but that's what I do. Never tried the glycerin but someone there might know more about it.

·
aka avdpas77
3,411 Posts
deleted, 'cause it might not have been funny to some.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts