Glycerin+Alcohol=SnakeskinCuringSolution??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ark, May 24, 2005.

1. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried using a mixture of glycerin and denatured alcohol to cure or tan a snake skin?
    I'd like to know if it really works and how you do it.
    Thanks!
    Rachel :)

2. Gary in AL

Gary in AL Well-Known Member

Rachel,
    What we use uses glycerin, water and salt. This is how it goes:
    Remove all the fatty tissue off the skin (without scraping it hard)
    3 days in a heavy salt solution
    Rinse throughly
    3 days in a heavy glycerin solution
    Rinse thoughly
    then place the skin between two pine boards with it stretched out and not overlapping with something heavy placed on top of the board for 3-4 days
    After that you just lay it out to dry (not in direct sun).
    We have used this several times and the skin stays pliable.
    Good Luck
    Gary

3. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Thanks Gary,

So, salt it heavily, and leave it WHERE for 3 days? In the fridge? freezer? A bag?

Then, when you put it in the glycerin for 3 days, do you put it in a bowl and just pour the glycerin over it?

You dont use any alcohol?

Thanks so much!

Rachel

4. Gary in AL

Gary in AL Well-Known Member

Rachel,
    You mix the salt in water. We used a half-gallon jug of water and a box of salt. Then after 3 days in that solution, rinse it completely. Then add about 10-12 ounces of glycerin (you can add more if you want to) to a half-gallon of clean water, then rinse and put between the pine boards. Don't ask why pine but the directions were specific to use pine. For the amount I stated above we were doing a five and a half foot rattler. If your doing a rattler we were able to leave the rattles on. We've done a couple other 5 - 6' rattlers, a 5' cotton mouth and a 2-2-1/2' copperhead using the above. They stay pliable enough to make hat bands and belts out of them. Good Luck.
    Gary

5. MTNwomanAR

MTNwomanAR Well-Known Member

I just clean the skin out as usual...then put a solution of denatured alcohol/glycerin on the skin on BOTH sides, for 7 days, put the skin in between two boards....it works.... I haven't tried the salt....maybe next time?? :)

6. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

I have not tried that particular mixture but I have tanned a few rattlers with straight anti-freeze. Always works for me... just takes a while to dry out.

7. I don't use any salt at all as it tends to bleach the color out of the skin. I use 1 part glycerin to 1 part alcohol to 1 part water. Usually I use the little 4 oz. bottle of glycerin for 1 snake skin. I mix the solution up in a quart jar and place my skin in it and shake it up every morning and evening for 3 days. Then I take the skin out, tack it on a board and let dry. As it dries I rub off any loose scales. After drying it can then be used for hatbands etc.