Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
We have been gluten free for 9 months, 22 days, 4 hours, and 18 minutes.

Approximately. :p

We have totally given up on bread, altho my mom says we should try the Kinnikinnick hamburger buns.

First, my son had to be gluten free, then I noticed I felt better if I stayed off gluten too. Now, I get downright SICK if I eat gluten. One brother, one sister, and 2 nieces all have been tested and found to be gluten intolerant since then as well. All this in less than a year, so we all share as much info and recipes as possible.

Corn bread or corn muffins can be made the same as usual, just substitute maseca for the white flour. That is the only "bread" we eat that tastes just as good as normal.

We have to cut out soy as well, so that makes it a LOT harder!

Since we cant afford a lot of specialty gluten free foods, we basically just eat fruit, veggies, eggs, dairy products from our goats, and meat. Things that are naturally gluten free.

What kind of recipes are you looking for?

·
Living in the Hills
4,537 Posts
I order gluten free baking flour and mixes from Amazon. Over $25 you get free shipping and the price is lower than I can get locally. Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Baking Flour can be used in cookie recipes as normal flour. I found gluten free oatmeal at our local health food store, so we make oatmeal cocolate chip cookies. My dd didn't care for the bread machine mix for sandwiches but does like it toasted for breakfast. I got it in a 6 pack and the cost came to about 1.83 a loaf.

I make my own sauces and we read ALL labels. Do you have a good gluten free additive list?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Along the same idea, check out www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info . It is a wealth of information on how to cook without flours, wheat, processed sugar, etc. The recipes to make bread, cakes, cookies, etc. use nut flours - no wheat based anything. There are several websites that have spawned off of the BTVC website that have recipes, the biggest one that I know of being www.scdrecipe.com .

Good luck in your search for gluten-free recipes!! Let me know if you have any questions, or would like any of my favorite recipes from the actual BTVC book!

·
Registered
185 Posts
There is a gluten-free bakery about 45miles away, the owners are bakers/chef by trade and their daughter was gluten intolerant so they put their skills to work and opened shop, everything is made daily.

We were trying to isolate dietary issues as well, and learned that even milk can contain gluten if the animals feed contained it.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I do not bake very much. When I do, I usually use Pamela's Baking Mixes. http://www.pamelasproducts.com/Products_frames.html

When I do eat the gluten free baked goods, I can eat only a little at a time because xanthum gum doesn't agree with me; intestinal cramping etc.

Like Cheryl wrote, make use of Amazon. It's cheapier and easier than hunting down gluten free foods all over the countryside.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
wdchuck said:
We were trying to isolate dietary issues as well, and learned that even milk can contain gluten if the animals feed contained it.
Can you provide a link or a source for this info?

I'd be very interested in exploring this possibility.

THANKS! :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I get most of my flours (rice, potato, tapioca) from a local amish store. The thing I am having a really hard time doing, is lunch. All of our suppers are gluten free (I am the only one so far). I eat a gluten free breakfast also. I am just stuck with lunch. I have been baking as usual, just subing the flours.

I know that I am supposed to watch my lotions and shampoos etc. My problem is going out every Sunday after church to eat.

Thanks everyone

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.