Glued on ceiling tiles.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by dlangland, Sep 5, 2005.

1. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

That kind that almost feels like paper. My first thought, this is an upstairs bedroom I won't be using so it would be a good place to practice, was to just paint them, but they aren't straight...gotta go. They are intact, very well-glued, I don't see why I would have to rip them off. Seems like that would make a huge mess. I need to take down and redo the painted wood molding anyway. Could I just sheetrock on top of the tiles? I have only ever sheetrocked walls before. I know I would have to have someone help hold it up.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    There are elevating devices for sheet rock to ceiling application available at rental supply houses. In the past we just used two people and a right length 'T' shaped portable brace made of 2 by 4's.

3. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Thanks. I know that, and I have read up on building the braces. What I wanted to know was whether I can just put the sheet rock up right over the tiles, or what purpose would be served by attempting to remove them, aside from the fact I will know they are there. I probably didn't word my erlier concern very well...in a hurry.

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

if the ceiling is stright go over it use 1/4 inch is is much lighter to use

5. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Thank you, Mountain Man. I do so wish you guys had a separate, Old House Rehabbing Forum so I wouldn't have to burden you guys on this Shop-talk. Thank everyone for your patience with my stupid concerns.