Glue for metal??

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by moopups, May 4, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Got some 18 gague sheet galvanized to make lids for our rabbit feeders, not a problem exept my bottle torch is in storage right now and I am not sure just where. Is there a glue that works in place of soldering? I am aware of epoxys but hope this could be simpler.

2. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

I am not confident you will find anything, how about sheet metal screws? The auto body and air con or central heating people will have various mastics that might do the job.

John

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The zinc will make any glue short term, but you should get a few years out of any silicone adhesive. We can get a construction adhesive called PL Premium which is about the best glue, to hold whatever to whatever I've ever used. Its primary use it so glue subfloor down before its screwed down for a no squeek floor. If you use a galvanizing primer to strip the zinc off first it may hold forever!

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

As a emergency backup I always have JB Weld handy It sure has paid for itself, many times over. shadowwalker

5. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Epoxy--I can get it here in small tubes which you just press down on the plunger and it mixes it itself in a nozzle at the end. Cheap too. Devcon is the brand I think. So, epoxy can be simple.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Marine Tex
    Builds and repairs: holes cracks dents worn out surfaces and damaged substrates. Bonds and fuses fiberglass plastics wood metals ferro-cement and porcelain. It is impervious to oil fuel grease brine and detergents. Unaffected by temperatures from -60 F to 300 F. Can be sanded drilled sawed threaded and painted

7. Hurricane Kurt

Hurricane Kurt Well-Known Member

There is some stuff called liquid nails I think its called. It comes in a caulking tube and comes in a few different varietys and I believe there is one for metal. I have used the one for wood and masonry a couple of times and it holds very well. I repaired a concrete bird bath base for my mom about 4 yrs ago and it is still holding. I got it at home depot and would use it again.

Kurt

8. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

Go to a auto parts store that carries auto body supplies. They carry a two part body glue. It's so strong that you can't pull the two parts apart.

Bobg

9. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

The various contact cements from hardware stores do a good job of adhering to metal. Gorilla glue is a particularly good common glue at bonding metals in my experience.

10. celticfalcon

celticfalcon tom

try pig-putty. you might have to rough it up a skosh. but its tougher than anything ive used. the website i dont have now but can on monday night

11. oregonbuckaroo

oregonbuckaroo Member

I would just use JB-weld. Its works wonders.