Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Annie (rat terrier x border collie) weighs 27lbs and is 10 years old. It is hard to believe that she is that old, but I have recently noticed that she seems to be stiff at times. Her energy is fine and she has a healthy appetite so I don't think it is anything beyond a touch of arthritis.

I've seen Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements for arthritic dogs, but don't know if it really works or how much to give her. Is there anything else that would helpful to give her?

Thank you

deb
in wi

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
I give my sheltie glucosamine/chondroitin with MSM. I give her one tablet hidden in her food everyday. I buy Walgreen's brand when they are on sale. My sheltie is 30 pounds, almost 10 years old, and she takes 1 tablet a day which has 500mg. glucosamine, 300 mg. chondroitin, and 150mg. MSM. I found the pills marketed strictly for dogs to be too expensive. My vet said to give her a people pill instead, that it was the exact same ingredients and cheaper, although not beef flavored. Her arthritic symptoms which were very bad have improved so much that I can't even tell that she has a problem anymore. I highly recommend giving it to your dog. It may take up to a few weeks to 3 months before you see a big difference, but then as long as you give her a daily pill she will stay at the improved level. I just can't say enough good things about it and I take it myself and it has also helped me tremendously as well. :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
After my boy had ACL surgery at 2 years old, my vet recommended I put him on g/c as a preventative. Of course, he would have preferred I buy the supplement he sells, but I buy it at WalMart.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
I have two dogs on it...one an older dog with arthritis, one a dog who is crippled from a run-in with the mail carrier's car. We also have a horse on it too.

It really does help (I take it for arthritis myself). You can add it to the food, or buy dog treats with it. My boys get a tablet in their food and the treats every day.

Here's a good article on it: http://www.allaboutdogsandcats.com/Health/GlucosamineChondroitin.html

As for dosage, I found this:

When giving glucosamine and chondroitin for arthritis, start out at high doses: at least 500 mg glucosamine plus 400 mg chondroitin for a small dog, 1000/800 for a medium-sized dog, and 1500/1200 for a large dog daily (up to double that amount to start with). If you see improvement, you can try backing off to a smaller dosage. Some dogs do well on less, some need the higher amount to get relief. If you don't see any improvement in four weeks, try a different brand. Different dogs seem to do better with different brands. Glucosamine/chondroitin can be given with food, but may be more effective if given at least one hour before or two hours after feeding.

·
Registered
26 Posts
On our rescued rottie we use the animal g/c from Trader Joes. Its cheaper than most other we have found and it does amazing things for her hip displasia. One tablet a day in a "special sandwich" (usually pnut butter) and she thinks she is just getting the sandwich. (we cruch the pill and then spread it out on the sandwich then kind of mash the bread so the g/c stays in).

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
My people doctor always said to dissolve a pill in water to see if it would likely do what it needed to do. We had a Lab who started limping at 2 yrs (arthritis) so we started her on glucosamine chondroitin already then. We used the stuff from Walmart. We ended up increasing the dosage as she got older but she walked every day until she was about 12. She lived to be 14 yrs old and didn't get around a lot the last few years but she got around well enough that she still went all over the yard on her own.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think that glucosamine gave my old dog another 3 years of life. We had heard about the benefits of glucosamine but hadn't started our stiff old girl on it. Then I bought her some senior dog food of her normal brand, and after a few months we noticed that she was much more limber. Read the label and sure enough, glucosamine. From our experience, I'd highly recommend it for any old dog.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
I give Shep Cosequin DS. I buy it on ebay at a much better price than regular retail. He started taking it when he was about 8 years old and it worked real good. I haven't wanted to try the people stuff because the Cosequin is working and I don't want to mess with it. He also gets 1/2 a regular aspirin twice a day. He turned 15 this past August. Tonight he was romping around the yard, rolling in the snow and chasing his tail. He is a very happy dog and when Shep's happy, I'm happy :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
My Lhasa apso has severe CHD and has had a FHO on one hip. He gets Cosequin and it works wonders. If we run out because I forget to reorder, I can always tell the difference. just started my border collie on it (DS version) as well due to her age. It really does work wonders. You might have to play with the dosage though. With the generic people kind or pet kind of glucosamine and chondroitin, you really need to watch for additives and fillers. If you go generic, make sure you check the labels carefully.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts