Gloucestershire Old Spots

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Lily Orleans, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Lily Orleans

Lily Orleans Member

I was wondering if anyone has had nay experience with this breed? I have been reading about them & wanted to talk to someone who has actually had some.

Thanks!

2. syringaweb

syringaweb Well-Known Member

3. Bigshrimp

Bigshrimp Member

Have you ever tasted meat from this breed, or any of the other heritage breeds?

If so, did they taste better/different?

I really wonder if the taste has anything to do with the breed or just the feed it's given? :confused:

4. Lily Orleans

Lily Orleans Member

I have not but I have read & been told by people who have tasted them that there is a huge difference. I will let you know if I can ever find anyone who has some near me. I checked the site given by syringaweb (thank you by the way), but I have yet to find a farm close to me. I am also lookign for Tamworth pigs & have found anyone with them in the area either.

5. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

I too am very interested in getting a purebred pair of GOS pigs. I'm on the MN/WI border and would love to hear from anyone who has them or knows of them in the 5 state area. My goal for 2005 is GOS pigs!

6. Kirby Greene, MscD

Kirby Greene, MscD the Old Buck

There is a brand new site at yahoo groups soley dedicated to tamworths:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/tamworthtalk

Some of these are active Tamworth Breeders who have some first hand experience to share and breeding stock too.

Kirby

7. Lily Orleans

Lily Orleans Member

Thanks Kirby! I will check it out.

Lily Orleans

8. catfishcookin

catfishcookin Active Member

I raise Tamworth's here near Knoxville, TN. and there is a gentleman in Winchester, KY. who also raises them. However, this is probably too far to benefit you. These are incredibly smart hogs! They are long, red and very tough...they can fend for themselves better than any other breed.

9. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I have two GOS sows.

Not all animals are breeding quality no matter how rare they are. The meat is excellent. It's a darker pink, very moist, cooks up nicely.

GOS are very easy keepers. They're calm and gentle. I've had mine for six years. They're not at all destructive. They do root but not obsessively like some pigs do. They sleep more than anything. They love to have a nap in the sun when it's not too hot. The only thing I have to be very careful about is the electric fence. If I have them cleaning up in the garden or under the apple trees I have to be sure the pasture fence is off. They don't see well. They're eyes are small and their ears are huge and lopped down over their eyes. If they hit the fence they panic. They each weigh 600 lbs and can move quickly. You wouldn't want to be in their way when they're scared and running.

I trust these big pigs enough to let children hand feed them eggs. You can see Matty and Penny here. Gloucestershire Old Spots.

10. Lily Orleans

Lily Orleans Member

Robin,

They are sooo cute! I didn't notice before you mentioned it how big & floppy their ears are. Great pictures. Thanks for the info.

MéLisa