Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has had nay experience with this breed? I have been reading about them & wanted to talk to someone who has actually had some.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you ever tasted meat from this breed, or any of the other heritage breeds?

If so, did they taste better/different?

I really wonder if the taste has anything to do with the breed or just the feed it's given? :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bigshrimp said:
Have you ever tasted meat from this breed, or any of the other heritage breeds?

If so, did they taste better/different?

I really wonder if the taste has anything to do with the breed or just the feed it's given? :confused:
I have not but I have read & been told by people who have tasted them that there is a huge difference. I will let you know if I can ever find anyone who has some near me. I checked the site given by syringaweb (thank you by the way), but I have yet to find a farm close to me. I am also lookign for Tamworth pigs & have found anyone with them in the area either.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I too am very interested in getting a purebred pair of GOS pigs. I'm on the MN/WI border and would love to hear from anyone who has them or knows of them in the 5 state area. My goal for 2005 is GOS pigs!

·
the Old Buck
27 Posts
Lily Orleans said:
I have not but I have read & been told by people who have tasted them that there is a huge difference. I will let you know if I can ever find anyone who has some near me. I checked the site given by syringaweb (thank you by the way), but I have yet to find a farm close to me. I am also lookign for Tamworth pigs & have found anyone with them in the area either.

There is a brand new site at yahoo groups soley dedicated to tamworths:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/tamworthtalk

Some of these are active Tamworth Breeders who have some first hand experience to share and breeding stock too.

Kirby

·
Registered
43 Posts
I raise Tamworth's here near Knoxville, TN. and there is a gentleman in Winchester, KY. who also raises them. However, this is probably too far to benefit you. These are incredibly smart hogs! They are long, red and very tough...they can fend for themselves better than any other breed.

·
Columnist, Feature Writer
4,568 Posts
I have two GOS sows.

Not all animals are breeding quality no matter how rare they are. The meat is excellent. It's a darker pink, very moist, cooks up nicely.

GOS are very easy keepers. They're calm and gentle. I've had mine for six years. They're not at all destructive. They do root but not obsessively like some pigs do. They sleep more than anything. They love to have a nap in the sun when it's not too hot. The only thing I have to be very careful about is the electric fence. If I have them cleaning up in the garden or under the apple trees I have to be sure the pasture fence is off. They don't see well. They're eyes are small and their ears are huge and lopped down over their eyes. If they hit the fence they panic. They each weigh 600 lbs and can move quickly. You wouldn't want to be in their way when they're scared and running.

I trust these big pigs enough to let children hand feed them eggs. You can see Matty and Penny here. Gloucestershire Old Spots.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Robin,

They are sooo cute! I didn't notice before you mentioned it how big & floppy their ears are. Great pictures. Thanks for the info.

MéLisa

1 - 10 of 10 Posts