Glogs

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Chris Hicks, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks New Member

Have you ever heard of " Clogs" ? Something that you attach to an animals leg to restrict its movement? I'm not in to being cruel to my goats, but I can't seem to keep one of them from escaping from my fencing. I've got good fencing and am considering electrical fencing in addition to exsisting fencing. Any suggestions?

2. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of using any thing on the legs to help control goats.
    From what I have seen with mine, nothing less than a front to back leg hobble would do any good, they could still walk, but they couldn't get the front leg any higher, than the back leg would allow. Any thing on the front leg would get caught in the fence sooner or later, even in a clean yard, a hobble could still cause trouble.

I could see in my mind, a front to back hobble, and the front foot slides off the wire to the other side of the fence, and the goat would be hung there, unable to get the foot back or get it's balance because of the pull on the back leg.

same thing for anything on the front legs, the goat would get stick somewhere and not be able to get back.

3. txmilkm

txmilkm Member

I have not heard of clogs for goats, but I can tell you one thing I have done with some level of success.First of all, if you can not keep a fairly good eye on the goat, do not do this, since goats stuck in fences can very quickly be killed or seriously hurt.

We had a goat that had been raised on a bottle in the yard. When it came time for her to "become a real goat" and live in the goat pen, she had a very hard time adjusting to the fact that she was no longer welcome in the yard. She would shinny through any gap she could find in the fence. Our solution was to find a "Y" shaped tree limb and put it on her neck with another branch attached across the top of the Y to hold it on. (A sort of yoke) Make sure that it is not too tight but can not fall off over her head. She wore this contraption for about a month, never did get stuck in the fence, and learned that she no longer "fits" through the gaps.

Once again, DO NOT try this if you can not check on the goats several times a day. It worked for us and kept us from having to sell a goat that had just the spotted markings that we have been breeding for.

Txmilkm

4. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

1 strand of yellow electrical tape, mid-chest high, used on a tape extender (which holds the tape a few inches further away from the fence than the regular ones) should stop her from climbing the fence..
    as with any electric fence training, you want to start in a small yard.. you could also put some of her favorite feed on your side of the fence at the hight of the tape so she gets zapped.. usually once will do it, but she sounds like my doe Hailey, who had to try it twice.. :rolleyes:
    I like the yellow 1/2in tape, because of it's visibility.. the goats know what it is that hurts, and will avoid it.. I actually had my charger go down in the N.pasture once and the only way I knew it was two of my goats were butting heads and one got her rump pushed into the fence and it didn't zap her.. but they never purposly tested it themselves..

5. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Years ago before I had decent fencing, I used the forked limbs on my goats also with some success. I also had elect. fencing also. I had about three acreas in a wooded area, but the problem I had was that every time a limb fell on my fence it stoped working and my goats would put their nose up close to the fence and could some how tell wheather it was working or not without touching it. :(

6. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks New Member

Thanks for all your responses to my question about "clogs". After reading all your views I think I've decided against anything that would attach to their legs altogather. I think I'll go with reinforceing the exsisting fencing with electrical wire. I've not heard of or seen this yellow tape that one of you suggested but I'm going to look into that. I think the "visual" is a good idea. I know they'll learn after a taste or two of that stinging shock but the additional coloring is a good idea. I'm brand new on this site but am sure glad someone shared it with me. Thanks out there. Chris