Homesteading Forum banner

Globe Basil

426 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Thmom 
#1 ·
I finally got something to grow lol a friend gave me a globe basil plant. I kept it inside on my window sill and it has grown marvelously! It's seeding now... what's a good way to collect the seeds? are the seeds going to be fertile since there was no bees to pollinate the flowers? My friend thought that the plant wouldn't last too long in a container... should I be concerned about it dying anytime soon?

#2 ·
Globe basil works well as a window box plant, from what I've heard. Mainly it needs good sunshine, regular watering (but be careful not to water it too much) and rich soil (basil grows best in high nitrogen soil.) It should do quite well as a window plant in a container. Most herb seed-heads can be pinched off at the stem when they're mature.

Basil makes a good cooking herb, btw - you pick bunches of leaves and dry them, then crumble them to use in cooking. The best time to harvest leaves is just before or during when the plant is flowering.

I hope I've been able to help a little with your questions. :)

Oh, and here's a webpage I just found that has a bit more info about basil. http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1082/is_3_45/ai_74011854

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.