Homesteading Forum banner

121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Shazbot!
5,457 Posts
So you’re not even going to try to deny that you’re a sock puppet member who has already been banned twice?

I mean, we all know it, but would still expect you to at least try to deny it.
Deny it. Why?

He admitted he was a sock 3 days ago and the powers that be apparently don't care.

Liberals don't have to follow the rules.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
It's really funny when people that are woke climate worriers pretend that the people they support will be good for the environment. Having China spew out unregulated toxic chemicals and sending us all of our stuff instead of making it here with some oversight helps the environment how exactly? What does a strengthened Chinese economy do for the trade in endangered wildlife? What effect will higher fuel prices have on illegal dumping of household trash in wilderness areas? When you turn a coal and natural gas harvesting economy into a scrap metal harvesting and methamphetamine manufacturing economy (saw it not that long ago), how exactly does that help the environment? Glug glug glug goes the antifreeze from the junk car, Pssst goes the coolant from the copper or aluminum line on the refrigeration unit. Right into the headwaters of a fragile wetland ecosystem. Want to help wildlife? Make it affordable to drive to town and purchase food with money from an available job, instead of necessary to eat wild animals and lucrative to sell certain parts of them through black market channels to the Chinese.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Engineers reminds me of the old thing about "Put 100 chimps in a room with 100 typewriters and eventually one of them will accidently type out a whole Shakespeare play." Put enough engineers ont he problem and by accident they'll come up with something.

Auto designers gave us the Cadillac that required the engine be pulled to change that 8th spark plug-- every 6000 miles, or putting the radio antenna right near the windshield so you can't easily scrape ice off the glass....How about car doors that open so snow falls directly onto the seat? They took $200 carburetors off cars and replaced them with $2000 fuel injection so we could get 2 extra mpg.

What abut ink jet printers? That ink is the most expensive fluid on Earth. Remember phone answering machines back in the day? It was a miracle if one lasted more than 3 weeks.

Do we really need computer controlled light switches to relieve us of the dangerous and tedious task of flipping a switch?

Maybe they'd get the hint if they were required to actually use the crap they design once in a while.

·
Registered
10,618 Posts
I remember many times thinking that the guys who designed the drivetrain and accessory placement beneath the hood of a modern automobile never worked on one, ever.

·
Registered
33,485 Posts
I remember many times thinking that the guys who designed the drivetrain and accessory placement beneath the hood of a modern automobile never worked on one, ever.
It is even worse. Design engineers seem to work against manufacturing engineers where it is really hard to make what is designed.

Reactions: mreynolds

·
Registered
16,578 Posts

·
Registered
16,578 Posts
It is even worse. Design engineers seem to work against manufacturing engineers where it is really hard to make what is designed.
It is the same in construction. And each engineer is always right and the other engineer is always wrong.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Yeah, engineers are never wrong huh?

View attachment 91972
Some interesting history:
Just west of Chicago was an airfield. Lindbergh used to fly a postal route there regularly in the 20s-- used to go drinking on his lay-overs with my patient who was a mechanic working there....In the late 30s, the land was sold and a race trace was to be built. They got the foundation for the grandstand in, but The War broke out and construction was halted...

After the war, the gubmint took over and built a VA hospital-- using the existing foundation to save money. Imagine-- a hospital 50 ft wide and a full kilometer long...What they saved on construction cost was surely exceeded by the extra money spent on shoe leather by the nurses thru the years.

In the 70s, with the influx of so many more vets from Nam, they decided to build a new hosp-- a 20 story tower. Another of my pts was the construction supervisor. ...He said that after 2 yrs of work, the build out was completed and they went to furnish it...only to realize that the architects had failed to provide for nursing stations on any floor...The whole thing had to be gutted and re-done.

Our tax money at work for us.

136 Posts
Its leap in strength occurred over waters about 2 to 3 degrees (1 to 1.5 Celsius) warmer than normal. Such rapid intensification is made more likely by human-caused climate change, which has raised ocean temperatures globally.

NO. You are WRONG.

Such a leap is, or can be, caused by global warming. That the warming is caused by people is not fact. It is a political view. Also, if you believe what you say, why not go after china and india. They produce over 50% of the worlds pollutants. the USA?, much less than 3%. We could go to zero today and HAVE VIRTUALLY NO EFFECT ON ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION to the planet. Stop being a self hater. Do some research.

·
Shazbot!
5,457 Posts
My degree has been good to me. The last job before I retired paid 70$/hr..105$ every hour over 40.

I know guys doing contract engineering that buy a new home at just about every job they take.

And everybody in the world owes their lives to engineers for we are the ones that make the bridges safe

to drive on and the cars to get them there. The furniture that you sit in to the electric tooth brush you use.

Hug an engineer today..... 😁
@Bront

Oh look. Here is where I've heard it before.

You really need some new material for these socks.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Ten thousand years ago glaciers one mile thick covered much of what is now North America. I am no weather girl, but I am guessing it has warmed up since then. Who's fault would that be?

121 - 140 of 150 Posts