Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here wear lineless bifoculs? Just got them and they are driving me nuts.

·
Premium Member
7,154 Posts
Did you wear bifocals before you got these? If so, I'd think you wouldn't have a problem, but if this is your first experience with bifocals, I can see how they would take some getting used to.
In a case where someone didn't wear glasses until they needed them to read. Just having glasses on and putting up with two different lense strengths is a major pain.
When you need them bad enough you you are glad to have them.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
What a blessing these "lineless" lenses have been for me. I knew that when I reached the mature age of 43 that I needed bi-focals but waited for two more gawd-awful years before succumbing to new glasses. It was almost a mystical experience when I found the VariLux lenses and could actually see again - without the harsh distinction that the lined lenses train us to get used to. I am so happy with these lenses that it brings to mind an old commercial that gives us a "new lease on life". If this note sounds gushy - it really is!

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I've worn glasses since I was 8 and have never adjusted to the lineless bifocals. I still have to pull the glasses off for anything closeup, which is a pain because I am in the Mr Magoo category of nearsightedness. Brail would probbably suit me better than the bifocals!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've worn glasses for over 30 years. Been wearing lineless bifocals for about 4 years now and have been thoroughly disgusted with them. Next time I get new glasses for sure I'm going to get lined bifocals. I have a friend who is an optician and she is sure I will be much happier with them. I'm not vain enough that I don't want people to know I wear bifocals. I just want to be able to see!!

·
Premium Member
5,658 Posts
If you consioussly blink when you "cross the line" for a few days it becomes natural and no prob.

I have to take mine off to shave or use the comp. monitor

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
I used the reg bifocals for a couple years and never adjusted to them. I was constantly dizzy trying to walk with them. The no line have been much better. I've worn glasses for 42 years now. I tried the contacts but was never able to bear having them in my eyes.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I've been wearing no-line bifocals for about 8 years now and have no problem whatsoever. My brother wears no-line trifocals. I wear a different set of glasses just for the computer.

·
Registered
858 Posts
This is my second line-less pair of bifocals. These are sooo much better than the first ones, although these need replacement because they're so scratched up. I believe that my difficuly with the first pair was the placement of the bifocal area in the lens. I couldn't wear them driving without lowering my head to see through the top of the lens, the magnifying area was too high in the lens. Could this be a clue as to why you are having difficulty too? And it does take time to train yourself, 'specially on stairs, so if they don't work for you inside of a week or two, go back to the eye guy........Margo

·
Premium Member
7,154 Posts
Margo made a very good point. The ones I have now are just a trifle higher than the old ones and are a little less automatic for me to be looking through the correct side of the devide.

·
SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!
570 Posts
I have had good and bad prescriptions of lineless bifocals. It all is in how they measure your eyes to fit the glasses.

Even in the best of cases though it was difficult for me in the computer related job I have - constantly looking up and down hurt my neck!

I solved that by wearing distance contacts and glasses that I could prop on my head and use for reading, but that was always a pain, although better than the lineless glasses.

I just tried this year bifocal contacts and they are a blessing!!! I adjusted right away to them - don't ask me how. It just appears to work! Now I can look around the same way I did years ago - and backing up the truck is SOOO much easier!!!

The cost for 10 day wear was about the same as one prescription for regular glasses once you get all the extra stuff and it's good for a year. I wear mine a little longer to stretch it out a bit and revert to my old lineless glasses on days when I am not working around the place or at work, like trips and meetings and such. I do find that late at night when my eyes are tired I need to resort to the additional usage of my old reading glasses to do much detailed reading.

Next year I want to splurge and go with daily bifocal contacts - just throw them away when you go to bed and get a nice fresh pair every day. It will cost but being able to see is worth that to me.

One other thing - I could not wear contacts at all when I lived in Denver - too dry and too much polution so the success may depend on location.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have line-less tr-focals and love them. I had the regular tri-focals before. The regular trifocals you just moved your eyes. With the line-less models you have to learn to tilt your head.

There are some people who just can't adjust to the line-less kind.

·
SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!
570 Posts
margo said:
This is my second line-less pair of bifocals. These are sooo much better than the first ones, although these need replacement because they're so scratched up. I believe that my difficuly with the first pair was the placement of the bifocal area in the lens. I couldn't wear them driving without lowering my head to see through the top of the lens, the magnifying area was too high in the lens. Could this be a clue as to why you are having difficulty too? And it does take time to train yourself, 'specially on stairs, so if they don't work for you inside of a week or two, go back to the eye guy........Margo

I had mine get scratched up too- I had the "anti reflective" coating on them. Ask the people who made your lens to remove the coating and they will be fine. They don't like to do this - obviously because you won't be buying another pair of glasses. They made me sign a disclaimer that I won't make a claim if the glasses are ruined and I had to pay $20. I had two pairs done and both turned out fine.

It was sort of funny because I thought my eyesight was failing. I can't see much of anything without the glasses so could never look at them to see that they were scratched!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
I tried the line-less because my sister swore they were the best thing, but I just couldn't adjust to them. The doctor says I use my peripheral vision a lot and that's why. I traded them in for the lines and won't switch again. My sister did say it took forever to get used to them and you have to turn your head and look directly at whatever you want to see---no using that side vision. She doesn't look down when she walks either---makes her dizzy still.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
My partner loves hers,but my sister never could adjust to them.

A good fit/measurement makes a huge difference. Go back to or call your eye doctor. They may be able to help make it right. Do it now though before you have them too long to be returnable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unregistered said:
Anyone here wear lineless bifoculs? Just got them and they are driving me nuts.
Thanks for starting this. My 8 year old DS will be getting lineless bifocals this week, and I've been wondering how to help him adjust.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Can you get bifocals that are clear on the bottom. My Dr said he couldn't do it because I needed a step 1 correction on the bottom. Well now he has them back because their no good to me I have to take them off to read. You'll get used to it he said,NOT!!! Why would I try to get used to something that gives me headaches and can't read with. I refused to pay and called the insurance company to make sure they didn't. Just no perscription on the bottom can it be that difficult.

mikell

1 - 20 of 29 Posts