Glass milk bottles

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Happyfarmwife, May 13, 2005.

1. Happyfarmwife

Happyfarmwife Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a source for buying glass milk bottles? I have searched online and can only find one.

Deborah

2. JElfering

JElfering Dairy Dreamer

Deb,

I would like to know as well. For now we use recycled glass gallon pickle jars that we sanitize in the dishwasher. It takes a couple times but it is recycling at its best. A milk straining disk fits nicely to the wide mouth. Picked up pickles in glass jars at Sam's club. Note: local grocer here in town sells gallon jugs of pickles but the manufacture switched to plastic. It may not be long before my source of glass bottles are gone. That's why I would like to know where to buy them.

Our milk stays fresh for a long time and clean-up is easy with the dishwasher. I don't worry about milk stone as long as the children remember to rinse the jars when the milk is gone.

Jennifer

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

We found a place on line that sells new wide mouthed gallon glass jars. They were fairly cheap but the shipping cost more than the jars. I think we bought 5 cases of 4 to a case.

Now we use cheaper to buy, cheaper to ship, break proof gallon plastic jars purchased from a bee supply outlet and designed to hold honey. One can toss them or recycle them after a bit or if they take on an odor; ours haven't yet.

4. petefarms

petefarms Well-Known Member

Haggis would you post your supplier of bottles, I'm still interested in doing something along those lines. Thanks Petefarms.

5. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I have four of them somewhere but they are now just about a collectors item. Have you thought about using preserving jars and they are easy to get into for cleaning.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

6. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

7. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

I use those glass ice tea jugs with the spickot on the bottom. It's easy to skim the cream off the top and the milk from the bottom is what we drink. You can get them fairly cheap at a restraunt supply store.

8. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

I used specialty bottle too. I bought their half gallon and gallong jugs. I like both of them, but Haggis is right, the shipping kills you. Walmart used to sell apple juice in half gallon bottles; put a sign up in health food stores for gallon apple cider/juice bottles.

9. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

When we had cows we used antique ones from my dad's collection. We ran them through the dish-washer between uses.

these were ones that were duplicates or very common ones, so no worries about breaking a collector's item.

One had a special ball shaped top to gather the cream.

I kept one as a flower vase -- has that milk bottle shape -- and has "Store Bottle -- 5 Cents" embossed all over it.

Good luck with finding ones you like!

10. chrisnev

chrisnev Well-Known Member

Do you have a landfill with a "leave or take"?/ We needed some for a school class project and we put up a sign at the landfill and WOW we had them coming out of our ears!!! Or a small ad in your local paper..You never know..dont underestimate your community they always love to help!!!Another is to let your local restaurant you need them and maybe they will save them for you....well Good luck Chris

11. Jim in MO

Jim in MO Well-Known Member

http://www.stanpacnet.com/Milk/bottles/bottle1.htm

Stanpacnet sells pint quart litre and half gallon milk bottles and the lids but I find the half-gallon wide mouth canning jars works best for us. Our customers like them because it's easier to get the cream off and they are a lot cheaper. Our local Wal-Mart will order them for us at no extra charge and we just got 4 cases to start with. We charge new customers a $2.00 deposit if they don’t bring their own container to make sure we get our jars back and if we don’t we don’t lose money on them.

We also have a local mom and pop restaurant who saves their glass gallon jars for us along with the lids and we just give them a free gallon of milk each for the favor.