Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advice on cutting some glass to glaze my greenhouse. I have a source for double glazed windows (less the aluminum frame) that I'd like to cut into the sized panels I need. This gives me twice the amount of glass at half the weight for the building frame. I'll get a new sharp cutter and keep the wheel lubed. The trick will be cutting glass that is double glazed (sandwiched) around an aluminum strip and the silicon? If you cut 3 sides I'm worried it will just snap the 4th side. Any glass cutters or glaziers out there with a suggestion?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have some experience with glass. However, I'm not sure what you mean by sandwiched. Two pieces of glass back to back?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Double glazed windows. Two pieces of glass, about 1/2" spacing between them. Looks like they have an aluminum shim between the glass to keep the distance equal and then they run a sealing bead (silicon??) around the edge. My guess is they may be gas filled. Normally if I cut glass it rests on a table, score it, tap it and snap it. In this case the piece I'd be cutting is 1/2" above another piece of glass.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Very easy-just lay insulated unit on table,take razor knife and cut sealant all the way around and lift off top piece of glass-turn over and cut spacer off other piece...Make sure there is no temper seal on face of glass-tempered can NOT be cut.When cutting glass-put on flat carpeted surface,use mix of atf and kero,use small brush to lube glass surface and cut .Best way for an amatuer to break is by putting end of cutter in center of score and press gently on either side.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll check on the doors (sliding patio type), I thought they were required to used tempered on doors. Is there any way to cut them if they are tempered? Abrasive wheel, burning twine/cold water ?
What is atf? I'm sure it's not alcohol-tobacco-firearms in this instance.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
why would you need to lube glass to cut it? i cut window glass many moons ago in a temp job for a short period of time and it was simply scored and broken off. it was done in a vertical rig/jig and had support at the point of the break, but the scoring device never required the glass to be lubed.

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,474 Posts
As soon as you begin to score tempered glass, it falls into tiny rectangles. The whole piece. Just can't be done, short of melting it down and repouring it to the correct size.
If it is standard glass, could you cut the glass on all four sides, just inside of the aluminum spacer? Once you get it away from the spacer, just cut it again to the size you want.

·
Formerly 4animals.
1,035 Posts
I worked at a hardware where we cut glass everyday and ill we had was a coffee can with just i little bit of 3-in-1 oil in the bottom that the glass scorers sat in.

·
Thats MR. ******* to you
829 Posts
unless I missed something back years ago, there is no way to cut a piece of glass that is still in an 'IG' unit. you will have to cut the 2 pcs apart. Go slow and be careful.
Once they are apart you can place them on a soft, carpeted space and cut them to size. If they are tempered FORGET ABOUT IT! You can not even sand it down a little, it will shatter!
I always 'dip' my cutter in oil, espc when cutting ssb (single strength or 1 /8 inch) glass panes.
Good luck on cutting that glass before cutting those units apart.

·
Thats MR. ******* to you
829 Posts
why would you need to lube glass to cut it? i cut window glass many moons ago in a temp job for a short period of time and it was simply scored and broken off. it was done in a vertical rig/jig and had support at the point of the break, but the scoring device never required the glass to be lubed.
you do not lube the glass, you lube the cutter, (10W40 is all you need) it helps to keep the cut cool and from flaking also makes the cut cleaner and more dependable / straight, no bad edges

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hmmm...to take apart the IG would seem like delicate and unsafe work as you would try not to break the glass at the same time. It might help to warm up the IG seal first, to make the sealants on either side of the spacer easier to slice through.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
I fore see a lot of broken glass .
If you already have double pane insulated glass , rather than destroying it attempting to cut it . It would make far more sense to simply change the green house design slightly to use the full double pane glass as is .

for cutting flat glass panes a cutter works fine .
for round glass such as bottles a piece of nichrome wire with power applied will heat and make a nice clean break.
for tempered glass its nearly impossible to cut though not completely . for this you need a very well balanced diamond wet saw and to go very slowly .

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
1.SSB=3/32...Dsb=1/8
Once and for all-YOU CAN NOT CUT TEMPERED GLASS-it will blow up in your face....That is why tempered is made to size when ordered...

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll need to try cutting them apart it appears. I'm guessing a razor utility knife? Don, I can't use them the way they are now, the frame for this greenhouse is factory cut and broke aluminum channels and castings, so the glass needs to be cut to fit the frame. I'm also concerned about the additional weight that using them intact would impose. Fortunately the curved pieces that make the transition from roof to wall were able to be removed and kept intact. The glass is 1/8 (some of these units were never used, still have the lables on them). I am mulling over keeping some of these pristine units intact and making a frame and using them as operational units for the ventilation they'd provide.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If these units are out of sliding patio doors they are more than likely tempered, they have to be by law. You can not cut tempered glass. It is cut to size then tempered at the factory. :(

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, I expect the doors to be tempered, the windows are not though. The doors I'll break down if I can and use the full size on the end walls and on cold frames.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How many can I put you down for? They were free to me, otherwise they'd of been thrown in the trash. I don't know of anyone chomping at the bit to get at some insulated windows.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts