Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we are in the midst of another arctic blast with a windchill of 35 degrees below zero. So, after being out in the weather for half an hour I put on my little Mr. Coffee machine and waited for the brew that would warm me up. I did a few other things around the house and went to get my cup of coffee. To my dismay there was only about a half a cup of coffee in the glass pot. I checked the outlet I had it plugged into and that was fine. The green light on the coffee pot switch was on- but the coffeemaker was dead in the water! Now I am not a big coffee drinker- about two cups a day but after being chilled to the bone I still wanted something hot. Hmmmm I thought to myself- did I remember seeing one of those old corningware stovetop coffee pots recently somewhere in the basement? Now I was on a quest! After a few minutes of rummaging around downstairs I found it! Now all I had to do was remember how much coffee to put in it and how long to let it brew. After a few minutes I was able to once again enjoy a good hot cup of coffee.
I was glad to have a backup. My first thought was to purchase another electric coffee pot but now I am not so sure. It is more " green" to use a stovetop coffee pot- nothing to take to the dump when it breaks down, no more filters to buy and I would save some electricity by making it on my gas stove.
So, are there any others out there that regularly make coffee the old fashioned way? Just curious. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I have a stove top percolator for a backup in the event that the electric goes out. As for the measurements they should be the same - 1 Tbs for every 2 cups. If that turns out too strong so be it: much better than no coffee at all:viking::coffee:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have a french press. For me, it's perfect. However, my husband drinks a lot of coffee, so we mostly use a plug in percolator.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I
have a french press. For me, it's perfect. However, my husband drinks a lot of coffee, so we mostly use a plug in percolator.
That looks very interesting. How does it work?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Like making tea. Pour in boiling water on top of the grounds. When through steeping slowly push the filter on top down to trap the grounds in the bottom.

An acquaintance was in post wwII Germany building bases. He watched a German bus boy making coffee on base, afterward went up to him and told him never to dump the grounds out again. Instead he spread the used grounds on a tarp on the roof, dried them out and sold them on the German black market for $5 per pound.

The Germans boiled their coffee while Americans perk theirs. Still leaves a lot of "goody" in the grounds.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've often wondered how they work. Whould that be something that would be handy for an off-grid, minimalist lifestyle? They seem so expensive. When you talk of filters does it require a supply of paper filters like a drip coffee maker?

Just wondering,
Dan

·
This is my life
3,869 Posts
we have a french press, 2 cup automatic, 8 cup automatic and a stove top speckled perculator.
When my mom visits she drinks coffee all day so we need the 8 cupper, put normally we just use the 2 cupper or french press

we got the speckled one for camping

I guess we have a back up for our back up for our back up LOL

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Repair the coffee maker you have! Most coffee makers that I have seen broken had a less than a dollar item from Radio Shack blown. I need to verify what the item is called for certain (fusible resistor maybe) but I will come back and post that here.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
The best coffee I've every made is also the easiest. Put coffee grounds in a strainer (like those that go in some of the Mr. Coffee type pots). Put strainer over catch cup (or thermos bottle). Boil water. Pour water over coffee.

The water fills the strainer, leeches down. You fill it again. wait a moment while it empties into cup. You have really great coffee. It's like a Mr. Coffee but without the machine. AND you can vary the amount of water, time it brews, etc.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Uggghhhh...caffeine crisis in the morning!!! I still have an old percolator around here somewhere. My only complaint is that I always ended up with coffee grounds in the coffee. Now THAT'LL put hair on your chest!!

G

·
My coffee pot is somewhat similar to this:

Nothing to plug in, no moving parts, and no stove needed. As long as I have a way to heat water, I have coffee.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
This is similar to what we have, but ours is more beat up. I'm a klutz, which is why we gave up on the glass coffee pots.

We have a reusable filter that we picked up at the grocery store which fits perfectly into our pot. We put in the coffee, pour the boiling water in, & voila! Low tech coffee! :coffee:

When we have company we add a paper filter to get rid of the sludge. We keep the coffee warm on the wood stove.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Get the water boiling in the pot, the taller and thinner the better. Take the coffee and just toss it in and let it boil up. When you are happy with it cut the heat and just take some very cold and sprinkle it on the top. The grounds will almost immediately sink to the bottom of the pot and you can carefully pour most of it without getting more than a few grounds in your coffee. Don't laugh, it warms you up when you want something to warm you up real badly.:bow:

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
It was a cold and snowy morning and I was going to make coffee adn I broke the carafe!!! It was one of those that the lid of the carafe triggered the coffee to come out of the ground holder thingie.. what to do? what to do? I went out and grabbed a thin creek stone and jammed it under the lever and let the hot coffee drain into my big pyrex measuring cup.
Whew!!

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Get the water boiling in the pot, the taller and thinner the better. Take the coffee and just toss it in and let it boil up. When you are happy with it cut the heat and just take some very cold and sprinkle it on the top. The grounds will almost immediately sink to the bottom of the pot and you can carefully pour most of it without getting more than a few grounds in your coffee. Don't laugh, it warms you up when you want something to warm you up real badly.:bow:

This is the way my dad always made coffee. You could buy him a brand new perculator and he would take the insides out and boil his coffee. Wish I had a cup of his coffee now. He died in 1975.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
years ago i went on a trail ride in yellowstone. the cook put grounds in a small sack (sock?), tied shut, tossed into one of those speckled numbers and put in the fire to boil. i didnt' even drink coffee then, but it was very good, esp on those cold mornings!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
About twenty years ago when I lived on a boat and didn't have electricity or want a breakable glass coffepot I bought a stainless steel thermal French Press. It had a sticker which said "Nisson" on it, but I can't remember anything else. We are still using that coffee press everyday. No filters necessary. We also have a friendly whistling teakettle to heat the water up in so it lets me know when the water is ready.

We also have a fifty cup electric percolator, a blue speckled stove top percolator, a glass French press like the one shown in the picture in an earlier post and two stainless steel stovetop percolators. With the exception of the stainless steel French press, the rest of them have come from yard sales so they weren't expensive.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts