Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every election year we all get loads of junk mail, "support this one or that one." I'm used to that.
Now this year was different. One day last week I got two mailings, addressed to me personally, "urging me to vote." Not for this one or that one....just vote. Well dang, I usually do anyway. And I planned to. Then the next day, I get a mailing that says, "you voted this year and that year, but not this other year." "Your vote is very important." What? Are our tax dollars being spent so that junk mail can be sent out to NAG people? I resent this intrusion. I do agree that we should all vote. I don't agree that anyone needs to badger me to do it. And to spend my tax dollars to do it.
And the robo calls from each campaign. Does anybody actually listen to those calls? I don't need a computer generated phone call to make up my mind.
I am about done with elections. So glad they are over for now!

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
Folks need to go and pick up all the signs that they stuck along busy roads.

I wish there was some sort of bounty system through which folks could gather them up and get paid a buck or two by the campaigns for each sign collected after the election has been over for a week or so if the signs were still out there.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I came home one day to find 4 of those stupid signs by my driveway. I yanked them up and threw them in the trash. A couple days later, I caught somebody in the act of putting another one out. I let the dog out of the gate and the sign didn't get stuck on my property.

I exercise my right to vote, but I consider that stuff litter. We have plenty of exposure to the candidates on tv, radio, and now online. We don't need ugly yard signs all over the roads.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Those kinds of signs are a nuisance. Litter is a fairly kind word for them. Does anyone really think it makes a hoot's worth of difference in who I'm gonna vote for? I can't think of a single instance when a sign in someone's yard every made me want to do anything other than yank the dang thing up and throw it in the nearest trash bin. If anything, it's negative advertising to me.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I have withdrawal symptoms from not seeing any commercials

Reactions: Tricky Grama

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
We're going to need a new answering machine after all the smoking it did recording all the election calls. We turned down the ring tone volume and let the machine take all on all of them.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
What really annoys me is you can have your phone on the "Do Not Call Registry" and they call anyway. Like some other laws, these JERKS create, they are exempt from them. I got an unlisted land line this past year and did not get the first call. It is worth it to me to pay extra for my privacy even though I should not have to.

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
Well, just before the election, I got calls from Mitt Romney, Sheriff Joe, Mike Huckabee and a few lesser lights. I just figured I had become one of the elites.

:D

·
de oppresso liber
16,876 Posts
Folks need to go and pick up all the signs that they stuck along busy roads.

I wish there was some sort of bounty system through which folks could gather them up and get paid a buck or two by the campaigns for each sign collected after the election has been over for a week or so if the signs were still out there.
Years ago a local radio show offered a bounty on the signs ($0.25 or $0.50 each) but had to stop because they ran out of money. People were bringing in pick-up truck loads of them.

·
de oppresso liber
16,876 Posts
Well, just before the election, I got calls from Mitt Romney, Sheriff Joe, Mike Huckabee and a few lesser lights. I just figured I had become one of the elites.

:D
You are second rate. I've been getting emails from the real power brokers. In one day I got one from the Pres and a few hours later the 1st lady emailed me.

I'm on all the list because I believe you should keep your friends close and your enemies closer and know your enemy and know yourself. . .

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Years ago a local radio show offered a bounty on the signs ($0.25 or $0.50 each) but had to stop because they ran out of money. People were bringing in pick-up truck loads of them.

Hope they brought them in before the election

·
Registered
211 Posts
WolfMom, If those three would have called me I think I would've put Huck on hold, hung up on Mitt, and then asked Sheriff Joe advice on how to get our worthless sheriff down here to get off his rear and do something. lol

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
You are second rate. I've been getting emails from the real power brokers. In one day I got one from the Pres and a few hours later the 1st lady emailed me.
Well, poop! Here I thought I was going to hob-knob with "the movers & shakers" :buds:

WolfMom, If those three would have called me I think I would've put Huck on hold, hung up on Mitt, and then asked Sheriff Joe advice on how to get our worthless sheriff down here to get off his rear and do something. lol
It's OK - I know in your heart you're just jealous! :kiss:

·
Registered
31,752 Posts
Those kinds of signs are a nuisance. Litter is a fairly kind word for them. Does anyone really think it makes a hoot's worth of difference in who I'm gonna vote for? I can't think of a single instance when a sign in someone's yard every made me want to do anything other than yank the dang thing up and throw it in the nearest trash bin. If anything, it's negative advertising to me.
Seems like if they wanted to do something really useful, they'd put up signs telling exactly what they would do/or stand for.

We got some 'robo' calls. I actually answered a couple. (this was 2 yrs ago) Then we went to ME for a month. The calls followed!!! Well, maybe I was paranoid, but who knows to call a cabin on a lake!?!?!
Happened AGAIN this year! At the same cabin.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Every election year we all get loads of junk mail, "support this one or that one." I'm used to that.
Now this year was different. One day last week I got two mailings, addressed to me personally, "urging me to vote." Not for this one or that one....just vote. Well dang, I usually do anyway. And I planned to. Then the next day, I get a mailing that says, "you voted this year and that year, but not this other year." "Your vote is very important." What? Are our tax dollars being spent so that junk mail can be sent out to NAG people? I resent this intrusion. I do agree that we should all vote. I don't agree that anyone needs to badger me to do it. And to spend my tax dollars to do it.
And the robo calls from each campaign. Does anybody actually listen to those calls? I don't need a computer generated phone call to make up my mind.
I am about done with elections. So glad they are over for now!
"I am about done with elections. So glad they are over for now!" What makes you think so?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts