Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to think what xmas gift I was going to give to myself this year. Like metal models, 15 to 30$ each. Or

buy some candy. Chocolate covered cherrys...from the vermont store. Honeybaked ham has some really great

stuff. But you know none of that really turned me on. It didn't satisfy and the reason was in the receiving. Now

I'm not some big giver to the poor or sending money to any of the stuff you see on tv...the elderly in some

cold impoverished country. But there are some places that a little $$ to this time of year feels...right.

So I did a google on thanksgiving donations in the city west of me and found some good places to send

a little hope and prosperity...Kansas food bank,, Union rescue, Bread of life, Salvation Army and the

Kansas humane society...

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Give locally and then you have a better chance that your money will go to help those in need and not be used to raise more funds or to pay big salaries.

Ask at your local humane society what they need, what brand of cat food or car litter they want to receive, or pay some of their electric bill for them. See what the local soup kitchen or food bank or meals on wheels would like to receive. Pay attention to the news and make note of local charities that you are unlikely to receive a begging letter from because they don't have an advertising budget,

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
In Central Oregon St Vincient De Paul has a food bank and they give jackets, gasoline cards, and utilitiy help to the local folks who need help. They do a slight screening and don't just hand out food and goods to anyone who walks in, trying to get the stuff to those who need and not just anyone who likes free stuff. Some of the nationals, I am not so confident about. The Salvation Army has huge gorgeous expensive buildings everywhere I've ever lived. I'm not so sure they need my money as much as the local battered woman's shelter does.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well, I married the worlds biggest charity organizer. I’m just along for the ride!
We live in a small town. Not much for kids to do here, and there is no “Parks and recreation” department like in the cities. My wife asked the village board if she could have a kids activity day once a month at the community center. It got approved of coarse. She has activities for kids year around. The town usually has leftover food from icefishing or softball tournaments that I cook up, otherwise my wife pretty much buys everything.
The town cop brought up that there was a family in need of a refrigerator, and they couldn’t afford one. My wife wanted a bigger fridge anyway, so the cop and I loaded ours up and took it over to the family trying to get their feet back on the ground.
Meals on wheels delivery is another thing we were active in, not available in my current area though. Many old people just enjoy talking to you when you stop by, never mind the food.
Ever pull over and help someone broke down on the side of the road, or pull them out of the ditch in the winter, for free? That’s us.
If you want to give, but don’t have the money or things to spare I bet if you ask around there are many places that could use a body as much as money! Just jump in!

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,400 Posts
Excellent post

·
Saltine American
6,388 Posts
I will do something with local DFCS. Kids toys, clothes and food.
DFCS needs your help this Christmas
Secret SantaLet’s demonstrate how we can rally to help a sister agency serve their small customers!
The Division of Family and Children Services needs our help to make Christmas special for foster children throughout Georgia. Currently, Santa will be short on his visits to over 6,700 children in 124 counties by Christmas morning. There are currently 11,656 children, ages 0-21, in foster care. The goal is to fill as many wish lists as possible.
How can you help? There are a few ways:
  • Contact DFCS to sponsor children: Based on the number of children that you would like to shop for, they will supply a list containing their first name, age, sex, race and county of residence.
  • Agency Toy Drive: Collect toys from staff. DFCS will match toys with the children’s wish lists.
  • Monetary Donation (by check or website): Check can be mailed to the DFCS office (2 Peachtree Street, Suite 19-472, Atlanta, 30303) made payable to: DHS Secret Santa, or you can go online and donate via PayPal.
You can click on Secret Santa Programopens in new window for more information! That’s it! Someone will wrap and deliver the toy on your behalf on Christmas morning.

·
newfieannie
9,329 Posts
to each his own but i don't give to the SA anymore . haven't for years. and i know what i'm talking about. all my family as far back as anybody can remember back to Booth are salvationists. i was actually born downstairs in the church cause mom couldn't make it home. i've seen and heard quite a bit by this time.

first and foremost i'm giving to my son( course he's joint on my accounts and can buy when he wants but he wont touch a thing until i remind him) (like today he was in here for hours repairing my chimney.i told him to fill his oil tank and whatnot. i have to tell him every time.) it's probably good that i can trust him i guess but i do get tired of it.

anyway i help him because sometimes he doesn't get that many hours and this week has been the worst. i know he has food for months ahead but we all have household bills. so yeah he comes first.

i plan to buy coats, jackets, mitts and whatnot for needy kids also. i heard about this yesterday. there's a lot of need here right now and i'm not giving to ceo's and whatnot to further enrich them. ~Georgia

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
We give to our township’s emergency fund, the local homeless shelter, Lutheran World Relief, St. Jude, local fire department that is not a taxing body. We will be giving to Meals on Wheels as we just signed my in-laws up. For my in laws at Christmas we donate money and get them an ornament to match. Sometimes it’s Heifer International, World Relief, Lutheran Social Service. It was really hard to find an ornament the year we “bought” a share of a water buffalo.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are a few charities...doctors without borders is one..that send copious quantities of ads, newsletters etc. And

I tell them to stop or I'll never donate to them again. Do they stop? no...One of my bike ride routes goes by the union

rescue facility, which is next to a park. See a few vets sitting around there, after the country brought them back from

iraq..looking kinda lost. I think it is a great place to donate.

·
Premium Member
6,966 Posts
I usually go out the week before Christmas and visit the restaurants for a cup of coffee. Usually talk to the waitress/waiter a bit. Then leave an extra $20 to $50, depending on what they may need. This year because of Covid, I may cut down my restaurant visits and go to the library and hide money in books, along with a small card.

Mon

·
Super Moderator
13,541 Posts
Posted 11/22/20 12:52 AM CST

If I give myself something for the holiday, it's just coincidental timing as I am the sort who buys something for myself if I choose regardless of the time of year.

Now I make a holiday donation from some profit from one of my yard sold used cars for ten 50 pound bags of dog food and ten 20 pound bags of cat food to the county animal shelter that is now no kill and the same to a smaller private no kill shelter that often takes some of the county shelter over population as it is less known.

I tried to foster home dogs from the shelters but stopped after bonding with the fifth foster dog and running out of house and run kennel space and budgeted funds to care for the dogs I adopted.

Although stopping fostering when my home pack reached maximum size for me and reduced as the older ones passed away and the remaining dogs are done mourning and have their pecking order back after a month or so, , I take my often newly installed home pack alpha and alpha beta to pick new one or two year old pack mate from the shelter long timers I look over and have the attendants bring out to meet my alpha and beta and if they get along, I pay the adoption fee and bring a new dog home.

This year since our S.O. has re-established their K9 units, I am also going to try to give one of the handler deputies we know some cash to help her pay for a Kevlar vest for her new K9 partner because the S.O. doesn't cover the cost and when her old partner had to be put down due to cancer and she was put back on normal patrol, she gave his Kevlar vest to another K9 handler.

As far as the people in my gift group , I give holiday edibles to the adults except for my mother and GF and money cards to the kids.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,894 Posts
Some good ideas and causes in this thread. This year we have sailed through the Covid so smoothly, I felt like I needed to do more than usual. We are doing fine while so many are hurting.

A friend of mine has a band and they played (for free) a benefit event for Gary Sinise's foundation for vets. So I made a donation too. Same friend, his daughter has a gofundme trying to get a wheelchair van, they have a child that is not mobile and getting too big to lift into the car seat from the wheelchair. So I added to the pot.

Harvesters does the local food distribution so I made sure to give extra there. I also did a facebook fundraiser on my birthday and got them $300. My vet does most of the work for the local humane society, it is next door to the clinic. So I drop something in the donation jar when we bring in our dogs.

I like to give locally. St Judes is a great cause but they also have big money donors from the rich and famous so I feel like my 20, 50 or 100 does more for the smaller local organization.

Love to see so many spreading good in the world. Keep it up!

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
With the ammo shortages brought about by the coming apocalypse, I have reached into my private stash and helped out some of the less fortunate. A kid with no ammo this time of year is a sad thing.

·
Voice of Reason
51,704 Posts
I found a way to give close to home. In talking to the front office girls at my doctor's office I learned that they are still seeing a lot of uninsured patients who are very poor. Since I go to Mexico for dental work I have an opportunity to buy medications inexpensively. Last spring I asked my doctor if she could make use of Mexican antibiotics, and she said she could. Last summer I brought her a few antibiotics and she told me that it would make a huge difference to a lot of people.

Knowing that, when I went to Mexico in October I picked up a larger supply of amoxicillin, augmentin, z-paks, and albuterol inhalers. Hopefully that will make a difference in my community. I'll see her the week after Thanksgiving and give them to her then.

Making a difference has become very important to me in my old age.

·
Registered
217 Posts
With the ammo shortages brought about by the coming apocalypse, I have reached into my private stash and helped out some of the less fortunate. A kid with no ammo this time of year is a sad thing.
I’m not a kid, but if you have any 5 or 6 shot high brass 3” shells I’m down to my last 1/2 box. My Labrador retrievers would be happy too! It’s not their fault I miss 75% of the time.
I can post a picture of me and the dogs with an empty chamber and a sad look on our faces if needed.

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
I’m not a kid, but if you have any 5 or 6 shot high brass 3” shells I’m down to my last 1/2 box. My Labrador retrievers would be happy too! It’s not their fault I miss 75% of the time.
I can post a picture of me and the dogs with an empty chamber and a sad look on our faces if needed.
3" would be a deal breaker. Could fix you up with some sixes in 2 3/4" 12 guage. Have some four shot 3" 20 guage turkey loads, but only a handful. Had some 30-30 and 30-06 to make some kids able to sight in and deer hunt.

Reactions: 67drake

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
I donate a percent of purebred puppy sales once a year to the local animal shelter. Usually in july since people.seem to donate more around this time of year.
Use to do the Christmas angel tree when i worked full time. Would.take my kids to pick an angel and let kids shop for the child.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts