Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to toot my own horn (don't know how else to tell this story), but tonight I was running errands and decided to splurge and have dinner at Golden Corral. I also paid for two extra dinners, with drinks, and specified that they go to two separate people dining alone, as I was. Then I also left a $20 tip for the waitress, who did an excellent job and was happy and friendly. All told, my dinner included, it only cost $59...such a small cost to pay. The lift to my spirt and the joy in my heart...priceless! I almost skipped out of there I was so happy, and I've been grinning ear to ear ever since, lol.

Then I went to Joann's. There, I was able to help an elderly lady (probably in her 80s). She was picking out a pattern to make an elf costume for her great-grandson. She said her daughter is deceased, her granddaughter doesn't sew, and this was something her great-grandson really wanted, to be in a school program. I helped her pick out a Simplicity pattern that was on sale for $1.99 instead of the other one she was going to pay about $14 for, and then helped her pick out fabric and the other items she needed on sale. She had severe rheumatoid arthritis and coke bottle glasses. I offered to sew the costume for her, but it was a labor of love she wanted to do herself. I gave her my name and number and told her if she has any problems or changes her mind to give me a call. She gave me a huge hug and said I made her day. She was wrong...she made mine. People probably thought I was some lunatic lady, walking out with tears in my eyes and a huge grin on my face. :)

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Callie you are such a caring and thoughtful woman, we could use a lot more like ya in the world:bow::)

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Callie - what a nice and delightful day you had. It is nice to do something for others.

Angie

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Callie, what a sweet, caring, wonderful person you are. If there were more people in the world like you it would definately be a much better place. What you did brought tears to my eyes and a smile to my heart.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
That is so sweet. You have a good heart.

My local Christian radio station had an idea called Drive Through Difference. They had a short note you would print off your computer, and at a Mickey D's or whatnot you would pay for the order of the person behind you and give the note to the drive-thru window person to give to the car behind you.

I love doing little things like paying the difference in a person's groceries when they are a few dollars short, etc. I feel if I am blessed enough to be able to give, I should, and if I am put in a situation where I can help I was put there for a reason.

God Bless your big heart and caring attitude.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
That is sooo sweet of you! :)

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Not to be a downer, but I hope the restaurant actually gave those people free meals instead of just pocketing the money.

I usually don't talk about the things I do either, but it occurs to me - like you, Callie - that doing so can inspire others. Sometimes the opportunity comes to you, instead of the other way around. When it does, I try not to ignore it. I got an e-mail yesterday from someone who will be in one of my classes next quarter; she is disabled and wanted someone to be her note-taker. She was willing to pay $40 plus the free use of a brand new laptop for the quarter. Well, gosh, I need to take notes anyway, don't I? I told her I'd do it for her but she didn't have to give me anything. I'm really looking forward to it - I'll make a new friend, and it will help me too, because I'm sure I'll end up taking better notes!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts