Girls in the boy scouts.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by alleyyooper, Oct 12, 2017 at 7:27 AM.

1. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

It’s horrible for a multitude of reasons. But it speaks to our society and the constant need for inclusion.

Forcast likes this.
  2. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

Stupid stupidity stupidly ect ect ect

3. sammyd

sammyd Well-Known Member

They all ready have venture scouts which is co-ed. No reason to do this

JJ Grandits and Forcast like this.
  4. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

I feel boys shouldn't be allowed to join girl scouts and girls shouldn't be allowed to join boy scouts. For many kids they really discover themselves in these groups and having the opposite sex in the groups could really stunt that. When you mix genders as teens,things get all complicated

MoBookworm1957 and Steve_S like this.
  5. JJ Grandits

JJ Grandits Well-Known Member

As a former scout and later scout leader I am generally opposed to mixing the two sexes. Don't get me wrong, my daughters have incredible outdoor skills. They will hunt, fish, hike, canoe or backpack like nobodies business.
    My main objection is that the purpose of Boy Scout is to teach young boys how to become men. The outdoor activity is the means to take their energy levels and help focus them to that goal. Young boys are lead by older boys who are lead by men. I have seen where scouting has shaped my life and the lives of many of my friends into becoming responsible adults. Guys learn how to be guys from other guys. At the impressionable ages (11-16) that most boys are active in Scouts the camaraderie along with the example set by the men who lead it has a lasting effect.

It is sad to say that many men are neglecting the responsibility of being leaders. More and more woman are filling their roles.
    I admire these woman for stepping up, but it defeats the purpose.

6. Steve_S

Steve_S Well-Known Member

I, Also as a former cub to scout & then a leader with Beavers on up I'm 100% with JJ... Boys like Girls need their own space without any of the gender mix issues & pressures that go with it... It's time to let the hair down, relax and have fun while learning useful things and doing activities & projects with the others. Adding girls into the mix changes the entire experience...

My Better Half grew up with brownies to Girl Scouts and was also a leader and she's dismayed at how the entire organization has started to devolve - even to the point where selling off the camp lands owned for decades to take the profit... consider many of the properties have been owned since the 1920's onward.... the excuse, we are not getting the girls or activity levels and the properties are going fallow & to waste.... oh and of course upkeep... Well they seem to be doing NOTHING really to attract the kids in and involved... MAYBE consider getting a PR Company (all female one even) and get some thinking caps on and start "Marketing & Promoting" with maybe some core revision for activities & such...

BTW: Have a look at Girl Scouting across the world and many have far more in-line activities with camping, canoeing, fishing, basic survival skills etc and it works for them...

Same applies to Boy Scouting worldwide where they have evolved up... sure beats having the kids in front of a computer, or on their phones etc and they are learning to be "actually social" without FaceBlot and they even learn certain social skills and abilities in such groups which are being washed away by the Techno-World....

MoBookworm1957 likes this.
  7. geo in mi

geo in mi Well-Known Member Supporter

Sixty years ago I would've said: "Wow, my prayers have been answered!"

Today I'd get kicked out of the tent for farting too much......

But then, we had coed 4-H, coed Youth Fellowship Camp, coed high school choir and band, coed corn detasseling, coed debate teams, (FFA, and Boy's State weren't)----AND, my dorm at Purdue was the first one to go coed. That was great--just like brothers and sisters. Yes, there was some ROU, ROU, ROU for awhile like Notre Dame gorillas(the whole ND campus was male, at that time)--but it settled down and was pretty much like home.

I think the Scout organizations can handle it creatively. Historically, the ones to watch might be the leaders....

geo

8. MELQ

MELQ Well-Known Member

I know a lot of groups are coed but I think these 2 groups should still be separate.

Forcast likes this.
  9. CIW

CIW Well-Known Member

The largest single troop sponsor in the world has said that they won't endorse the change in the organization. And will continue it for young men only. If they were to pull their support the Boy Scouts of America would cease to exist. I'm sure at some level, they are ready to continue on their own if necessary.
    From a personal prospective, I think that this will go by the wayside. With all due respect, young women won't feel comfort in the organization. Its a non issue.
    Sure, you will have the occasional young women who wants to join in. Just as there are a few that want to play football. But as a whole it will fade away.

hunter63 likes this.
  10. Elffriend

Elffriend Well-Known Member

I was a Girl Scout from Brownies to Seniors. As an adult I was a leader for 8 years. My now 23 yr old daughter was in Girl Scouts from Daisies to Cadettes and then after our move to Canada she was in Girl Guides for Pathfinders and Rangers. She earned her Bronze award in the U.S. and the Canada Cord and Chief Commissioner's Gold award here in Canada. We were very into scouting.

The Girl Scouts tried a PR campaign and revamping of the program to attract/keep more older girls shortly before we moved. I don't know how it worked out ultimately, but I know what my daughter and the other three girls still in the troop thought. They thought it was ridiculous. They were making an attempt to make scouting cool and trendy but what they were really doing was alienating the girls who didn't care about that sort of thing. And as my daughter said at the time, "If you're still in scouts as a teenager you aren't cool, and that's ok. Not everybody wants to be cool. Some of us are PROUD to be geeky." I think GSUSA missed the boat. They didn't understand who their core girl members really were.

11. cpnkrunch

cpnkrunch Well-Known Member

Like JJ I was everything from Cub Leader, Webelos, Asst. SM, Scout Master, Commitee Chair, about everything you can do. Long course Wood Badge, OA, Tribe of Mic-o-say, and I don't think for a moment that it is a good idea for mixing the two genders. Does that sound like a stong opinion, perhaps? I quit around 2000, feeling the organization was getting to PC & I don't do politics well. Girl Scouts are fueled by cookies sales and Boy Scouts are fueled by popcorn sales, troop gets little, national gets fat. There was some talk circa mid 90s of keeping programs seperate but merging the admin/national level. Didn't fly IIRC. Boys were being pushed to make Eagle by 14/15 because they knew for the most part that they would loose them at 16, with cars and girls. I witnessed a scout mom "buying" merit badges for her son to be an Eagle. Scout got 21 merit badges during camp, don't know if he attended class or not, just glad it wasn't our troop involved. Now would you want your daughter or grand in that organization?
    I'm not down on scouting. I think the local packs/troops etc. are great but I hate what the organization itself has devolved into. I have a grandson just starting cubs, my SIL is involved, so we shall see. Right now I have to go complete my popcorn order.

Kyrel and Mickie3 like this.
  12. 92utownxj

92utownxj Well-Known Member

I don't agree with it at all. I was in cub scouts and boy scouts, from 1st grade to early high school. I was also in other coed groups, but boy scouts offered something the coed groups did not. It made it what it is. I'll always look up to, admire, and respect my old scout master. Funny thing is, he didn't have any sons. He had 2 daughters. He was part of the church the troop was chartered with. He did it to help make great young men. He loved the outdoors and was a great leader. I still talk to him from time to time 20 years later. I know our troop was different than some, or most, I don't know. Sure we did all the scout stuff, but we were like a family. During the week at camp in the summer we'd do the merit badges in the morning. In the afternoon we'd relax, talk, built things. If girls were allowed it would have been totally different. Not in a good way either. We would have all been worrying about impressing them or just acting totally different.

Currently, our son is in cub scouts. It's changed a lot since I was in it. The leader makes a huge difference too.

13. Skamp

Skamp Well-Known Member

This marks my first anniversary participating in cub scouts. I was drafted as a Den Leader two weeks ago.

Some back story:

I have two sons and one daugter, all grown, and with children if there own. I did not enroll the boys into scouts because of the girl. We'll do it together or we won't do it.

Fast forward quite a few years and I end up with two grandsons and a granddaughter, same thing, we'll do this together.

Fast forward to now and I have a second crop of grandchildren, two granddaughters and one grandson. The lovely daughter-in-law is the main mananager. She enrolled the boy in cub and the girls in daisies/brownies. They tagged at each other's meetings for a couple of months. The girls would rather "tag" their way through cub.

The Boy Scouts program is focused on developing leaders. Gender ain't got nothing to do with that. If you're worried about being shown up by a girl, get over it. I was taught that, and have taught it for decades. The contraire is true also, a boy should be taught, and excel, at those skills typically reserved for the other gender.

"I can skin a buck, I can run a trot line."

I can cook a buck, and hang clothes on the line.

Country folks can survive.

painterswife, RichNC and hunter63 like this.
  14. Skamp

Skamp Well-Known Member

From the polygamists? I can see the XY connection.

15. PrairieClover

PrairieClover Well-Known Member

After this many years, there is still so much bigotry and it rears its ugly head again.
    Back to the topic of girls in boy scouts.
    I think it is being done for several reasons and the biggest one, IMHO, is political correctness and another is most likely financial since the biggest single sponsor is withdrawing somewhat from the scouting for 12 and up.

I'm the parent of 2 Eagle Scouts. I think they appreciated having a separate boys' group to participate in. Why is that such a big deal? I don't think it is that big of a deal since the scouting administration has said the girls can be separate from boys but still participate in the scouting program; and as posted above, there is the BSA Venturing program for the older kids which is co-ed.
    Also, as posted above, the girl groups are so fluffy. Really? Some of these too are political and involve leadership skills and sharpening competitive, aggressive skills with which to take over the world, how to apply nail polish, and other skills that wreak of someone's agenda. Just kidding. Or am I?
    Where was the camping, knife sharpening, orienteering, and all the other cool outdoor stuff to learn and do for girls?

And no, girl scouts has not collapsed or folded or shut down. You can find them outside of most WalMarts aggressively selling their cookies in the spring every year.

16. Skamp

Skamp Well-Known Member

I think you, and most here, are missing the point. Ground roots girls. Ever seen/dealt with one? I have just as many as I do boys. I love, respect, and listion to them all.

17. PrairieClover

PrairieClover Well-Known Member

Missing who's point? Your point or the reason BSA is opening up to girls? What does "ground root girls" mean? Getting girls back to nature and how to camp? Is that what you mean? Or just the overall program of BSA as a grounding force for girls? Please be more specific if you're going to pull point.

18. Skamp

Skamp Well-Known Member

Leaders. LEADERS. I said it before.

19. JJ Grandits

JJ Grandits Well-Known Member

Boy Scouting teaches leadership, cooperation, organization, responsibility, patriotism, and all the twelve points of the Scout Law.
    These are just and noble lessons all boys should learn.

It also involves running around in your underwear, farting contests, and peeing out the back of the tent.

adding girls would change all of these other "important" things.

Let boys be open to be boys. Under the guidance of men they will be men.

sammyd likes this.
  20. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

I have no experience with any of the scouts - and do not really know how different Boy Scouts are from Girl Scouts. However, it would seem to me that the Boy Scouts have finally succumbed to the "all inclusive world".
    I can remember the outcry several years ago when gays weren't allowed in the Boy Scouts.
    Not too long, the transgender thing reared it's head and once again the Boy Scouts were in the news.

I would have to guess the Boy Scouts were infiltrated by liberals and now "everybody" is welcome.

I don't believe in the traditional roles - men as breadwinners, women as homemakers - and think both sexes should know how to do everything. But I feel that all boys groups & all girls groups are good - let each sex bond and grow up with each other.

What is next? Are The Mason's going to allow women in? Are The Rebeccahs going to allow men in?