Girls in the boy scouts.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by alleyyooper, Oct 12, 2017 at 7:27 AM.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

NOT MY DAUGHTER!!!!! I fully understand some girls (Iwomen too)want to do the things boys do, camping fishing and other outdoor stuff the girls scouts don't seem to do. But to allow my teen age daughter to go on a week end camping trip ain't going to happen. I would implore the girl scouts to change up some of there activitys as because times have changed and for some reason Women and girls these days want to do every things boys and men do.

:D Al

2. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

I suspect the Girl Scouts ain't too happy...

Mickie3 likes this.

3. LittleFarmrJohn

LittleFarmrJohn Well-Known Member

Both my girls are in Girl Scouts, they hike, camp, do archery, canoe... everything the boy scouts do. Last year they even started doing the pinewood derby. I guess we're lucky the leaders around here (my wife included) aren't afraid to get dirty and do it right.

4. Fishindude

Fishindude Well-Known Member Supporter

No more charitable donations to the Boy Scouts for me.

Forcast likes this.
  5. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

Did the girl scouts go belly up?

6. PlayingInDirt

PlayingInDirt Well-Known Member

7. Yoss

Yoss Member

I have mixed feelings on it. We have two BSA troops in our community and they seem to be doing OK, but I doubt they'd be successful without all the den mothers stepping up. At least half of the leadership roles are filled by women. The articles talk about having separate dens at the cub level, but it wasn't clear whether that carries over to the troop. I'm assuming they won't have coed camp outs, but you never know. I have nothing against mixed socialization, but I also think it's valuable for boys to have some time of their own and vice versa.

Based on our experiences though, I can definitely see why girls would want access to the same activities as Boy Scouts. Maybe we had the wrong expectation of Girl Scouts, but we have not been impressed with the meager, mind-numbing activities offered. Granted, my daughter is only 8 so they aren't going to be doing anything terribly advanced, but it's pathetic compared to what my son got to do in Scouts at the same age. She's no tomboy either. In many ways, she's as girly as they come, but she wants to do more than glue bits of felt together and get coached on how to take advantage of her cuteness to sell cookies. And EVERYTHING pivots around those miserable cookie sales. Once cookie season is over, meetings and activities start getting cancelled left and right. We didn't renew her membership this time around and she hasn't missed it a bit.

8. PlayingInDirt

I have 2 boys, and no experience with boy scouts, although I am considering having my younger boy participate.

I don't see why girl scouts don't step up their game and offer more of the activities offered at boy scouts. If I had a daughter, I doubt my husband or I would feel comfortable with her going on co-ed campouts.

9. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

They have decided to do this because families involved in Scouting have asked for this. Scouting is often a family thing. If their children can join a troop as a group in fosters family time. There is no really good reason to separate the sexes in the majority of activities they offer. When I was a kid we went on camping trips with a different organization but it was alway both boys and girls. Just different tents.

hunter63 likes this.
  10. PlayingInDirt

Maybe they should just merge the two and call it scouts then, not boy or girl.

keenataz, Mickie3 and painterswife like this.
  11. Heritagefarm

Heritagefarm I think, therefore I eat. Supporter

I have mixed feelings on this. Sometimes it's nice to go on an activity that doesn't involve members of the opposite sex. I'm not going after the dreaded "boys will be boys" stuff, but quite simply, boys develop differently from girls.

However, as far as I understand, the troops will still be divided by sex. So hopefully no co-ed campouts with horny, hormonal teenagers. I'm sure nothing would go wrong. :rolleyes:

12. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

When I was a girl scout, we camped, canoed, hiked and did all sorts of out doors stuff. We also took a trip to Washington DC. Once a year we'd get together with the boy scouts for a weekend at a scout camp before it opened to clear trails, etc. I believe the activities I participated in was because of the super leader. We were in the Trail Blazers.
    Yes, I agree boys mature differently from girls and just like grown men and grown women, each need their time without the opposite sex..

PrairieClover and Kyrel like this.
  13. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

I think it a non-event.....
    Not My Kid?.....Seriously?

4H camps and activities , most all church groups , band, summer camp and any number of other groups are and have been co-ed fo years....
    Events and campout are supervised and chaperoned...In a controlled environment.....???

So being Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts make then not trustable?....Seems a harsh judgment.
    What about school, malls, Social Media or just hanging out with friends....That all need to segregated as well?

reneedarley, Mickie3, mmoetc and 3 others like this.
  14. CaelAidan

CaelAidan Member

I wanted to be a Boy Scout as a kid. My Girl Scout troop was so... dull that I quit after the 5th grade when Mom finally let me after three years of begging. Instead of learning to make a fire, we watched the Yule Log burning on the TV. Instead of learning knots, we made yarn dolls. I think the most interesting thing we did was one time, we went camping, and a girl saw a snake (black snake, harmless). That was the first, and last, time that den mother wanted anything to do with the wilderness. She was very much... one of those ladies who genuinely believed that girls should learn how to cook, clean, and do nothing else unless her husband said it was okay....

That said, I don't think I'd have an issue with this. I don't have kids, so I can't say for sure how I would feel in the actuality of it, but... kids get into enough trouble these days as it is. In a mostly controlled environment, with regular supervision, separate tents/cabins, and diligent chaperones, the fears of The Worst Possible Scenarios (drugs, drinking, sex) are pretty much null and void. Plus, the kids who get that far and stay in the Scouts? Usually not a problem set they indulge in, in my experience.

Band kids, however..... :p

hunter63 likes this.
  15. PlayingInDirt

That is a really good point, Hunter.

What I don't get is why girl scouts don't do the same activities. But I think it must depend on the den leader.

hunter63 likes this.
  16. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

The problem is marketing.....neither group wants to change.....
    THe surviving group will be the one that changes with the times.
    Before you know it women will be able to vote...(joke)

As far as supporting scouts, support what ever group you desire....They are both service organizations to help out the community and were both organized to prevent the bad behavior that many posts are worried about.

Brings into question What about Gender Confused Scouts....

CaelAidan likes this.
  17. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

FAMILIES ASK FOR THIS????, Heck they did, just LOOK at the polls that are coming out . This is the MOST ridiculous thing ever to hit the Scoots. Stupid stupid stupid.

Forcast likes this.
  18. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

• Do you agree with the Boy Scouts' decision to include girls in some programs?
      25%
      Yes

• 67%
      No

• 8%
      I'm not sure
    Total responses: 402,385 votes

19. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Both my daughter and son belonged to the school band. They only went on day trips to contest and were back home at night.

They were allowed to join and go to any church they disired, both didn't care for the attempts at brain washing them so didn't go. so now worrys about coed over nighters there either.

The daughter joined the brownies for a while but decided what they did wasn't her cup of tea after a couple of years.

If they are going to be seprate than why allow girls to join the boys?

:D. Al

20. doozie

doozie Well-Known Member

While I have no experience with the group, Campfire Girls became CoEd in 1975 according to their website, and it is now simply called Campfire or Campfire Org. So really, it's been done already.