Giminy Christmas. Nothing like technology problems to raise your blood pressure!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by mama2littleman, Jan 13, 2007.

1. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

The fact that I am typing this post is a small miracle in and of itself! Earlier this morning my keyboard just died in the middle of posting on this forum.

No big deal, I figure I will run down to the nearest computer parts place at 10:00 a.m. when they open up and grab a new one. The old one was long overdue on dropping dead. It's about 5 years old, has had probably a gallon of coffee spilled on the keybord over the years.

So ... The comedy of errors begins.

GEt in the car, drive to Best buy. Look for an inexpensive keyboard. GO see the local geek kid and say "Hey, this is the keyboard I HAD, this is the computer system I'm running, I need a compatible replacement" He gets me what I am looking for, no big deal.

Go home, open the box, read the directions (See, I really did read the directions first) Go about installing the new keyboard. It really shouldn't be a problem, it's plug and play technology after all. Yeah, right!

First off, the PS2 adapter doesn't fit. It is ALMOST the same, but not quite. This seems to be a common phenomenom with Dell components. We ran into the same problem when we replaced the fan on the unit. (Note to self NEVER EVER Again will I purchase a Dell system).

OK, I can roll with this problem, I will just use one of my usb ports. Easy cheesy. Umm ... NO! plug in the new keyboard to the USB port. I go through the entire "Install new hardware wizard" Okie dokie ... I'm on my way to keyboard heaven. Then it tells me to restart the computer to complete the intallation process. OK, I can handle that. I restart the computer, wait around for it to reboot and then ...

ARGH!!! it starts going through the whole process "install new hardware" again. This isn't right. I should have got the "Finish hardware installation " screen. OK, no need to panic just yet ... I can deal with this. I go back to the directions, see if I missed a step.

Yep, it's right there, I forgot to uninstall the old keyboard and mouse. Ok, I can do that! (I hear the more computer savvy among you groaning/laughing already). Note to self ... When you uninstall the keyboard AND the mouse it makes it pretty hard to actual USE your computer. That whole lack of input devices is a pretty hard problem to get around. You can't even shut off the computer with out hitting the restart button.

Panic sets in, I can't even get on the computer forum here to ask for help becuase I have no way to actual input information. Can't type, can't click .. things are spiraling. I can do this, deep breaths. I'm not quite ready to call the husband or tech support yet. I really am not in the proper frame of mind to be laughed at just yet.

So, Think, Think, Think!!! OK, I can unplug and replug in the old mouse, reboot the computer and it should automatically recognize the device. I can hang with this. Institute plan, perform second hard shutdown of the computer. Wait for it to reboot, get a up of coffee, consider tossing in some Bailey's Irish Cream, discard the thought for now. Desktop is coming up ... no mouse still. The little red light on the mouse isn't even on. OK, the Bailey's is looking much better right now.

Swallow pride, call DH who is currently driving 800 miles home from Ft. Hood to El Paso. I tell him my tale of woe. After laughing so hard he had to pull over off the highway he tells me I am no longer allowed to make fun of my Mother's technological ineptitude. I contritely agree. He suggests I plug the the old mouse into an alternate usb port and see if he system recognizes it after a reboot. OK, I do that ... YEAH!!! I have a mouse. I can click on things. I am inordinately pleased with the situation. Now, I just need to figure out this keybord thing. DH walks me through uninstalling the bad driver install on the keyboard. The reinstall of the appropriate driver and re boot.

Yeah !!! I now have a keyboard again.

Note to self .. get more Bailey's.

Nikki

2. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel any better, you almost certainly handled that better than I would have, and I'm an engineer who learned BASIC and FORTRAN in school. now it's Mrs Dubai who knows all about these things.

So it's not linked to the Y chromosome, and it sounds to me like you did just fine.

3. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Oh, you poor thing!!! We all have days like that. Pour yourself a stiff one and turn in early. Tomorrow will be a new day. :)

Glad you're back up and running again!

/VM

4. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

I can laugh at myself now. I can also think back on what I did and know exactly where things started going pear shaped. But, I still upgraded the Bailey's in coffee to margeritas.

I still can't believe I managed to uninstall both the keyboard and the mouse. That takes a special kind of person

Nikki