Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We would love insight on what may have happened. Does this look like a prolapse? She still has a little blood - maybe 12 hrs post farrowing. Her shelter had blood smeared about butt height over the walls. A few of her piglets have lacerations, and we found one dead one which looked like it was stepped on. There may be others under the straw. She has 9 alive at this point with at least two with cuts. She is careful laying down and caring for them at this point. I guess she will need to meet the butcher post weaning? Anyone have any idea what happened? Did she thrash around while farrowing to injure the piglets? She made her nest in the shelter but had access to pasture. For over a week, she has been breathing heavy. Also - noticed the piglets have mustard colored stool. Our other litter did not noticeably have this. Thoughts? Sorry to turn to you guys for help, but we are wiped. Thank you for any help you can provide. In the pics you can see the blood on the walls which dripped down (newly built shelter) and the mustard stool on the sow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Why would you cull her for accidentally killing one piglet? And little scrapes don't count for anything.
No idea if it's a prolapse, for that, you can cull, don't want to breed that into any other pigs.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I am wondering if she was thrashing around while farrowing, standing up. Maybe she tore her vulva on the plywood partition but am a little concerned about all the blood. She was still bleeding a bit. We haven't been able to put something on the cuts on the piglets. One has a large V shaped rip on it's back. Another has a large 2" cut down its shoulder. Those were the worst injuries of all the piglets but aren't bleeding -just blood red rips/lacerations. I have betadyne - any other recommendations for wounds on piglets? I also have that blue stuff. I guess something like Neosporin for animals for infection may be best? Thx

·
Registered
116 Posts
How are they doing? We had one kill her piglets, but it doesn't sound like yours did. Ours was pacing, growling, and the baby was killed within minutes with one bite.

It looks like a cut on her vulva? But it's hard to tell. They heal really quickly!

We have used the blu kote and iodine. I am not an expert by any means, just saying what we've used for castration and a few cuts and scrapes.

The piglets are adorable!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We had a young pig with a rectal prolapse last winter. No more of that! This sow did have a huge bloody blob which was probably an incredibly swollen vulva -but I wonder if we showed up soon after farrowing. Her tail was dripping with blood, and it was everywhere - piglets, walls, etc. Glad she is okay.

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
That isn't even close to a prolapse. She simply cut her vulva shortly after farrowing on the wall of the pen. Nothing to worry about.

As to the hurt piglets, they could have simply just gotten caught up in the straw and could not move away from the sow or the sow couldn't avoid the piglet because of the straw.

I see no reason to convert her to sausage. If she was a savage you'd have no pig left. Let her do her job and get her bred again in 4 weeks.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was a huge bloody blob when we first saw it. This is a day later. I know our pig with the anal prolapse - it went back in. I am scarred for life after that fun. She is doing better - down to 8 but one has an injured leg, the one with the cut back doesn't look that great either. I think we did learn that maybe a larger area would have been better for a sow this size. Herd management issue on our end hasn't helped, but we can learn. At one point, her tail was dripping with blood. She is doing great now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
As far as the piglets injuries go, I think I would agree with Lazy J. Just like with humans, each pregnancy can present its own challenges, and since their cause of injury is in-conclusive, I wouldn't jump to having her butchered. She might be a great mom, and if she is exhibiting good motherly traits with the piglets now, whose to say that the injuries weren't an accident? Also maybe a larger area would have helped. A new batch of piglets, a new mother, small quarters, accidents happen. I wouldn't do anything rash just yet. That's my 2 cents. Good luck!

·
Registered
527 Posts
"Bloody blob" could have been afterbirth membranes filled with fluid. Her vulva looks pretty normal for post partum to me. If her quarters were tight and she was turning to clean one pig while another was emerging she may have dragged it against the wall and cut it. With more room you probably wouldn't have seen fluids on the wall, it more likely would have gone in the straw.

·
(formerly Laura Jensen)
2,479 Posts
Yes, it all looks pretty normal to me as well. More space would be better. She looks like a good, healthy mom with plenty of milk. Nice sow. I really recommend providing an area with a heat lamp that only the piglets can access. The piglets will be drawn to the heat which will keep them out of the way of the sow and other pigs in the area. Especially in cold weather, when piglets try to stay warm by snuggling up really close to the sow, it's good to have a heat source for them that's a tad less risky.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts