Giant soon to be cut.

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by cabe, Aug 6, 2005.

1. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

We live very near the largest poplar tree in the Eastern U.S.A., and it has died. The forest service is going to cut it down and make some sort of display out of it , I guess counting the rings and stuff. I have seen one in a town near us , and it was on a 4 hundred year old white oak tree. Various reference points on it were shown adjacent to that year of rings like 1776 was a wet year, and civil war rings had dry summers etc.... just examples . It will be great , but I hate the fact the tree died. Anyone want to guess how old it is?The tree requires 9 men holding hands to reach around it, and it has enough lumber to build a decent size home. I can walk to it in about 1 hour from our front porch. I am going to guess and say it is 250 years old, but Poplars grow very quick. Whoever wins I will send you a small section of limbwood, I plan to be there when it is cut.Marty.

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

good grief that is a HUGE tree.
    Poplars here would never get that big, and I don't think they would ever get that old. The biggest mature poplar on my place is maybe 2 ft. diameter, and I thought that was pretty big.

3. Wildcrofthollow

Wildcrofthollow Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll bite.

Poplars near me that are about 100 can be reached around by 3 men....

I'm gonna guess 350 that would make one big poplar.

But I could see it being even older..... hmm

No I'll stick with 350.

Shame it has died. Any idea of cause? I hate seeing these old grandfather/grandmother trees die. They have such PRESENCE. Very calming.

David

4. mtn bluet

mtn bluet in Illinois