Giant Pumpkins Anybody grow them

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by GR8PMKN, Apr 4, 2006.

1. GR8PMKN

GR8PMKN Well-Known Member

Since my last post Vanished. Wondered if anybody else on this board grows them. We have been doing it for 5 years now. 818.5 lbs has been or best. We get late May frost followed by early September frosts. So our growing season is a little shorter that the big dogs.
    Shannon
    Engel's Great Pumpkin Patch
    Jim Falls, WI

2. GR8PMKN

3. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

WOW cool!
    I am getting into it- I have some great seeds from a local award winner/ My biggest to date was under 100 LBS. Still mighty big, but near 10th place it the local contest.
    When is the best time to plant seeds indoors? I've believe I wait too late to plant- setting them back somewhat. Is there a certain number of weeks before plant out?
    Thanks!

4. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

how do you process all the food from something this size?

5. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

We are going to try and grow some "big max" this year and see what happens. GR8PMKN is their a trick to growing them that big. I talked with a farmer and he was telling me they used to set-up a cattle syrinage and feed it miracle grow through the main stem. We don't want to use and artificial fertilizers so we are just going to let them grow and see what happens.

Derek

6. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Last year was my first try. I think my largest was 122 lbs. I've started my seeds for this year.

7. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

Big Max get really big, but don't get "giant" but the neighbours will all be amazed. I had troubles just getting them moved! 3' diameter easy! I use them for my pumpkin out at the road for Halloween night. Everyone comments!

8. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

yeah I'm growing them. From the seeds you sent me GR8PMKN. They are planted but not up yet.
    By the way, that pumpkin is huge.

9. GR8PMKN

If you are going to grow giant pumpkins make sure you get seeds with excellent genetics. They will have a weight/name/year and what cross it was made with. I do have to warn those new people I sent seeds to that Gaint Pumpkin Growing can lead to strange and obcessive behaviors. Plus after awhile people look at you funny...orr may be I am just paranoid.

Paranoid you would not like to eat a pumpkin of this size they are bland and watery..They go back into the compost pile.
    Shannon