Giant Pumpkin Secrets

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by moonwolf, Mar 27, 2005.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Is anybody here into growing Giant Prize Pumpkins, like the Atlantic Giant strains to enter contests?

The biggest I ever grew was 115 lbs. but it wasn't a serious undertakiing. I grew that one out of a spent compost pile.

Locally there is a pumpkin contest with a $1000 grand prize. The largest so far is well over 450 lbs. a few years ago. That's pretty respectable considering the northland living up here and short growing season.

So, what are the secrets and your biggest pumpkin that you ever grew?

Rich

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Biggest pumpkin...about 12 pounds :eek: But if you wanna talk the longest wildest vine....... :D

3. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

I plan on taking a shot at Atlantic GFiants this year. I hope we hear from someone with experience.

Duke

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

the last years port elgin ontario pumpkinfest winner comes from 5 miles away and is friends of friends of ours , alan eaton. check out the web site ,my moms home town ! http://www.pumpkinfest.org/

5. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

One of the BIG (ha!) things about growing giant pumpkins, is using quality seeds - you do need the Atlantic Giant seeds, but those from the seed companies just won't do the job for a real whopper. There are lots of nice growers on this board
    http://www.bigpumpkins.com/
    who will give away quality seeds if you send them a SASE (4x6 bubble pack) & request them. Plus, all the info you need on growing is right there! I'm growing some giant pumpkins this year, for the 1st time, for a local competition - some of my seeds I'm using are from 1000+ lb pumpkins! (the current record is over 1400 lbs).
    Hey Ford Major, just saw your post - yes, the 1400+ pounder was grown by Al Eaton! Actually, Canada is a great place to grow these, it's where they were developed.

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Maybe we should have an HT Pumpkin Growing Challenge? :yeeha:
    The record Atlantic Giant grown on the east coast of Canada. I'm going to get some from them if possible.
    Last year was awful weather. The local pumpkin contest was a bust, so hopefully this year will be warmer weather. I am thinking to surround the growing area with clear plastic to keep warmth inside and water a lot on a 3 ft. high mound of pourous composted light soil full of nutrients and worm action.
    The guy who grew several in the 300 to over 400 lb. range does it every year and not far from where I am. I'm thinking of night vision goggles and take a evening snoop over there some night. :haha:

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

1 to a vine !!!!
    compost , they love horse poo
    plenty of water,
    grow it on a pallet from the beginning , so you dont break it trying to move it to a weigh in !!!!
    and yes you need the right seeds, but any of the atlantic giant seeds has the potential to grow a huge kin ,

8. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

The contest is on!!! I am in. So you don't think the seeds I got from Johnny's will do? Well I got them now, but I will try to get some from a grower as well and compare the results.

Duke