Giant Pumpkin Contest---2005

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by duke3522, Apr 1, 2005.

1. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Welcome one and all to the First Annual Homesteading Today Giant Pumpkin Contest.

We hope that this contest will help promote the growing of that All American Squash: The Pumpkin.

Since this is the first year, and I am not sure how this is going to work out, we are going to keep the rules simple.

1.The contest is open to any Homesteading Today member, or members of their household. (No fair entering your uncle’s cousin’s wife’s brother’s pumpkin.)

2.You must be able to post pictures of your pumpkin.

3.Contest registration will end on July 4th, 2005.

4. Final Pumpkin pictures will have to be posted no later than October 25th, 2005. All entries should have at least two or three pictures of your pumpkin. All pictures must have a yard stick or measuring tape in the picture to show height, width, and circumference of pumpkin. And please feel free to post pictures of your pumpkin as it grows. The more pictures the better.

5. Winners will be announced on Monday October 31st, 2005.

Since this is an online contest we will be using the Honor System to enforce the rules.

Also, since all of us getting to a scale is pretty much impossible, the judges will choose the best pumpkin based on the following:

1. Circumference of pumpkin.
    2. Height and width of pumpkin.
    3. Over all appearance of pumpkin.

If it is close the judges may also take into account the best Growing History of entered pumpkins. Growing History should include, but not limited to, pictures of the pumpkin as it grows and growing journals.

The judges will be selected (or drafted) at a later date, and will be Homesteading Today members not participating in the contest.

As for prizes. The winner will get the following:

Bragging rights that you grew the best Giant Pumpkin here on Homesteading Today!!

And that’s about it.

Well, to make things interesting I will donate the seeds from one of my Illiniwek Red Watermelons I am growing this season. This is an heirloom variety known to be grown by Native Americans in Illinois.

And if we get any other donations for prizes I will post a list of the prizes and donors at a later date. And if we get enough prizes 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and so on places will be awarded.

If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions feel free to PM me or post them.

So get out there and plant those pumpkins. :yeeha:

2. duke3522

Well I guess I will be the first. Hope someone else enters or this will be one lonely contest. :haha: :haha: :haha:

Duke

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Duke,
    Sounds like fun.
    It depends on my gardening plan situation by May, I should know.
    If I am planting, I'll probably enter the contest. Mind you, I've only grown the biggest personal best pumpkin so far that weighed a mere 115 lb.
    It would be quite a challenge to outgrow all you wizards out there, but what the heck. I'de give it a shot.

Rich

4. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm in! I'm a first time grower of AGs, so have no idea how well they'll do here, but a HT contest sounds like fun :)

5. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Would it be considered a unfair advantage to have a growing season thats already 2 months old??I would like to know before I enter.

6. duke3522

If your a member your in. :D BTW this is my first year trying to grow a big one.

Grow Em Big

Duke

7. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

We haven't grown them for a few years (kids grew up) but now that we have a Grandson guess I should teach him how we grow big pumpkins!! Will be planting some as soon as it warms up......might as well put that pile of rabbit manure to work!! So count me in!
    Denise

8. silentcrow

silentcrow Furry Without A Clue

I'll try to give it a shot! I love pumpkins and love growing them. If I can't get the tiller figured out, I'll turn the soil by hand!!!!

9. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun! I have always wanted to grow me one of those giant pumpkins, but don't even know where to get the seeds for them at. Any clues?

10. duke3522

As for seed I went on a couple of the giant pumpkin sites and people just offered to send me seed. Some of them offered for free :D , others wanted to trade. Some of the sites give you the geneology of the pumpkin they came from and want $1 a seed :eek: . I also got some from Johnny's. I have extra room and will be planting several different ones and will report on how they do.

Also, thanks for the great response everyone. Looks like we are going to have a good contest. :D

Duke

11. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

Oh my.... I am game for this.... although this will be my first year ever at growing a pumpkin and I'll have to watch extra careful that my garden does not get flooded out again this year! :D It sounds fun though!!!

12. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Well, I've never grown pumpkins, so I might as well go all out the first year.

It won't be easy with our bad squash bug problem.

I have to get some seeds now...

13. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

14. Jim East Tn

Jim East Tn Well-Known Member

my son, Jonathan says to count him in--he is going to try Big max bulk seed from the local hardware store

15. james dilley

How well do they grow at 100 degree days??? I will be using cheap seed , and hope they grow

16. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

james, one thing to remember is not to let the plant dry out. Once the pumpkins form, they take in lots of water...at that stage an Atlantic Giant can gain several pounds a day.
    If I grow one, it will be on a mound of well drained compost and warm watering.

17. james dilley

I am going back to work next week will be away from home2-3 weeks at a time with no one to help tend them I guess I will not make many pumpking this year.However I do want to go to the Barnesville pumpkin festavil in sept in Barnesville Ohio ,

18. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Is it too late to enter??? If not, count me in :D

19. duke3522

Hi Sue,

Your In.

Duke

20. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

The site say they are out of seed :( Call me cheap....I just ordered some off of Ebay :D