Giant Okra Seed

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by NativeRose, Apr 15, 2005.

1. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

I just read about a variety of giant okra in the latest Countryside magazine. I am very interested in this and am wondering if anyone here has heart of this variety or has seed. This mammoth okra is currently grown in Texas. Do any of you know about this okra and where I could get seed?

2. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Isn't that kinda like growing giant zuchinni? I always pick mine small...the smaller the better. What do you do with a giant okra pod?

3. TabletopHomestead

TabletopHomestead Well-Known Member

No, this is a particular variety that is quite a bit larger in diameter than regular okra. Of interest to the original post, I was given some heirloom seed that is supposed to be "German Okra". Initially, I thought this was silly as okra doesn't come from Germany, until I read the countryside article which mentioned that the giant okra was grown there. I'm interested to see what my seed grows out. Maybe I have what you're looking for. I'll report back when I know.

4. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

TabletopHomestead, I am willing to trade or pay for the seed if you have any. According to the article in "CountrySide" the large okra remains tender unlike other varieties that are tough if allowed to grow too large. I am very very interested. My hubby, Jim, loves okra and was all excited about eating giant okra.

5. TabletopHomestead

TabletopHomestead Well-Known Member

If what I have turns out to be the giant okra, you're welcome to some seed. You'll probably have to email me and remind me, maybe around June or July, because I generally can't remember what I had for breakfast. LOL.

tabletophomestead@earthlink.net

6. kayee

kayee New Member

[I have the giant okra. A friend gave me some last fall. They grow on a vine. I dried one and you are welcome to some of the seed. Let me know how to get it to you. Kayee

7. kemrefarms

kemrefarms Head Weed Wrangler

I have tried this okra and didnt care for it. even when picked young it was tough

8. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

They're actually loofah gourds, I don't like to eat them either, they are great for loofah's however.