Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Budding homesteader
893 Posts
Lord have mercy! That's a monster! And I thought the Flemish Giants were huge! No WAY I would want a rabbit that big! Those are bigger than Texas jackrabbits, and I swear my kids could harness those and ride them!

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Something to consider about giant breeds is the bone structure. The heavier bone detracts from the meat yield after butchering.

Have a good day!

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
This same picture and rabbit appeared as someone from England, Sussex I believe had these rabbits. But I'll tell you in any case, that rabbit, if it is real, weighs a lot more than 23.5 pounds.

I raise Flemish and I have had a few that got to 21 pounds and they were nowhere near as big as this thing.

The story about this one the last time said the rabbit weighed close to 88 pounds and the record rabbit (I believe) was also in England and weighed 110 pounds.

I'd still like to have a few although putting the bar on this one's neck and pulling up would be just a tad bit difficult, huh? LOL

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
This picture is misleading, to say the least . . . .

He holding the rabbit at arm's length in front on him, so it looks bigger, but he can hold it that way, which means that it is not as heavy as the caption says, because 8.5 kilograms equals roughly 18.7 pounds, and how many people can hold that much dead weight like that, much weight that is alive and kicking!

If they really do get that big, I'd like to see one against a ruler, as opposed to artistically posed, like this.

·
Super Moderator
16,910 Posts
I have seen pictures of one of these guys being held close to the body: they are HUGE!

I expect that feeding them is like feeding a percheron horse: expensive!!!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts