Giant Angoras

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by pasotami, Nov 30, 2006.

1. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

Does anyone on hear raise and sell Giant Angoras? I would like to know more about them.

2. doodlemom

doodlemom Well-Known Member

I think white with blue eyes is the only choice for giant angoras and the blue eyes came from the blue eyed white beveren in a series of crossings. I remeber googling that and finding a website of the lady who developed the breed-very interesting. I'd probably buy one. Oops wrong angora- thinking of the line breeding giant angoras with bew beverens for a giant blue eyed angora- here's a neat similar story http://www.psci.net/haencaoo/bew.html

3. pasotami

Ohhhh - did not know they had blue eyes. Bet that is pretty! What is their wool like or similar too - EA, Satin....???

4. doodlemom

doodlemom Well-Known Member

5. pasotami

Oh my - BLACK!! Now I know I must have one! (drooling really bad) LOL!

6. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

Giant Angoras only can show in REW. I'm sure other colors are out there, but not showable. Because oof this, if you find any, they will likely be in REW.

7. pasotami

Oh I don't plan on showing - I want them for spinning and weaving purposes. I like to have mine with a pedigree so if someone ask I can tell them that they are purebreds and not just a cross. The black is desirable because I have a black Border Liecester and I could blend the wools and not have to dye it!

8. Buffy in Dallas

Buffy in Dallas Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't sell or breed them but I have one. My family couldn't believe it when I came home with a HUGE fluff ball. Just remember that they are a LOT of work. I finally started shaving mine because it had so much hair I couldn't keep it unmatted. And that was twice a week grooming. When I shaved her I ended up with 5 gallon sized ziplock bags stuffed full of fiber.

9. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Giant Angoras are only shown in white. There is an effort being made to get black accepted as a showable color. Its a long process. I think Angie holds the development certificate for black GAs. Other breeders are working with other colors, as well. You may have more luck finding colored rabbits using the term german hybrid to do your internet search. Germans are a breed that are not recognized by ARBA, but they do have their own breed association and registry. They use fiber production in a point system to register their rabbits. I know some Giant and german breeders if you need hlep finding some.

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com