Getting Used to Non-Mainstream Foods

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Peacock, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Gosh, this was a hard post to figure out a title for. :shrug:

The thread about the sparrows got me thinking about the average person's eating habits, or maybe I should say the average American's habits. We're so used to having exactly what we want to eat when we want it, the idea of eating certain other stuff is horrifying. And most people couldn't stand the thought of raising livestock for food; they don't want to think about their steak or chicken nuggets as coming from an actual cow or bird.

Myself included, much as I hate to admit it.

I'm VERY picky. I don't want to be, but it's hard to break old habits. I suspect hunger with a lack of alternatives would do the job pretty quick, but until then, I have my quirks.

I remember when I was a kid about 10 or so, a neighbor brought my parents some wild rabbit he'd shot. Grandma cooked it and they ate it for dinner; I wouldn't even taste it. I've never eaten venison. I've had it offered to me, but declined. Nor would I eat the largemouth bass my grandpa and I had caught on a fishing trip, or the whitefish I'd caught in Florida. I've begun taking my kids fishing, but the idea of doing anything but tossing back what we'd catch (haven't caught anything yet!) is laughable; I wouldn't have the foggiest idea what to do with a dead fish.

Please understand, I know this attitude is extremely impractical.

At this point in my life, I'd love to get some chickens and maybe a few goats. I asked my daughter, who is exactly as picky as me (how'd that happen? :rolleyes: ) if she'd eat their eggs. She said "maybe." I know she wouldn't eat THEM. Would she drink goat's milk from our goats? She said "maybe."

At least she'll eat my garden produce. Not everybody will. I have encountered people who will not eat homegrown vegetables and fruits because they're not as pretty as the tasteless relics in the grocery store. That strikes me as extremely odd, but that's because I've grown up gardening and eating stuff from the backyard. Other people may think it's odd to refuse a meal of venison or rabbit because they've grown up eating it.

And it is odd. I freely admit it. Food is food. I blame Disney. Disney made Bambi cute. Disney, or some cartoonist somewhere, made chickens, cows and pigs cute. Who wouldn't have 2nd thoughts about slaughtering a pig after watching Charlotte's Web or Babe? Sigh....

2. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

I am trying to become a vegetarian , I cannot figure out how to be a vegetarian and NOT eat lettuce at every meal! :help:

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    You all would become awfully hungry around here...

4. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

You could make hummus, and eat multigrain breads or pita breads with it as a snack. I just had some corn tortillas that were deep fried whole (I know there's a name for them.....).
    You could make bean salads, baked beans. Carrots, corn, varieties of bell peppers. There is a multitude of grains you could try, like rice, barley, wild rice, lentils, slpit peas, quinoa(I don't like it).
    You could make a rice stir fry. Eat more chinese food, more fried rice dishes.
    You could eat garden fresh tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, corn, fresh peas(MMMMMMM) fresh asparagus, broccolli, brussels sprouts(only good in veggie soup), cabbage, cauliflower,
    You could experiment with diffrent spices, there is also diffrent fruits you could try, as well as nuts. Soymilk is wonderful. You can still have coffee! :))
    Try diffrent herbs as well. Try diffrent types of greens from lettuce. Try diffrent types of lettuce as well. Fresh spinach in salad is awesome and great for you. Eat avacados, like a guacamole. Eat more mangos, and papayas are good too, but you have to sprinkle lemon juice on them. You can also try diffrent kinds of fruit juices.
    Morningstar farms has the best fake bacon. I eally enjoyed it. Eat dried fruits and nuts. They are great for your bad cholesterol. Try more pepper varieties, since there are healing properties in the capsaiscin. Look up phytonutrients online.
    Well, that's quite a mouthful, hope it helps. Just don't get too stuck in a food rut! Bleaccchhh!!!
    Michelle

5. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

You would also be very hungry in France....especiall if you saw how the raising/killing/cooking was done.

6. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

..hmm I think Buger King has a vegi burger. :dance:

7. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

We're not vegetarian by any means, but we do eat veggie when the mood strikes us. We especially like this meal.

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showpost.php?p=877965&postcount=19

There are several vegetarian meal ideas in the Cooking and Crafts forum.

In a previous post, there were several very good suggestions

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=98834

I did a quick google search and came up with this link. . .

http://vegweb.com/

It's a vegetarian site with recipes, coupons and other products. It may serve you well.

8. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

edayana, basicly you are asking us to diagnose and correct a mental condition (relax folks, we all have them). I think if you want to cure yourself you need to start with your mind set. Just "think" about eating rabbit. Remember, you control your thoughts, so make the thoughts pleasant ones. Instead of thinking "ewww, rabbit!, think "I bet rabbit would be really good in ...(fill in your favorite sauce), and would go really good with (fill in your favorite wine and side dish). Once you get comfortable with the thought, the thought of eating rabbit will be a pleasant thought. You can progress from there.

I used to hate cheese, but I've used this very method and now I love almost every type of cheese.

As usual, JMO.

9. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

One thing I've found that helps me with trying new foods is to eat them in some kind of strong sauce. I've eaten BBQ groundhog and it was pretty darn good. Clams swimming in a garlic butter sauce are to die for, but let's face it, clams themselves are kinda bizarre if you stop to think about them.

Another thing that might help you expand your horizons is trying an unusual veggie or fruit that you're not accustomed to - maybe an artichoke or pomegranite. Start with easy things and build your confidence up. Then you'll have courage to tackle some tougher items.

How about trying a familiar food in a non-familiar cuisine? Like chicken in a thai recipe?

Is your daughter competitive? Maybe you guys could dare each other to try something new, or see who can sample it and act the most non-chalant about it. Make it a game.

I'm proud of you for this. It's difficult to change our way of looking at foods.

10. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Visit another country....then it's eat it or starve.

11. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Good Lord! I used the word "thought" 3 times in one sentence........... :eek:

12. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

They would starve for sure at my place.

13. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

I "thought" it made sense. :nerd: :p

People that are squimish would barf if they took a look at the labels on the food in my freezer.

Hey, Thumper, Bambi, Babe, and The Little Red Hen, Come to momma you cute critters... [​IMG]

14. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

no kidding

15. michiganfarmer

ditto

16. michiganfarmer

I like a few weird things. I eat about a pound of liver per month. Every time we butcher a cow I pickle the heart. Id like to make head cheese someday, if I can get over the sqeemishness I have at the thought of cutting the head open to get to the brain

17. rootsandwings

rootsandwings Well-Known Member Supporter

I took the chickens to the butcher this morning. the back of my car is full of bodies floating in ice water. the "menfolk" will deal with them now. I won't cook them or eat them. I didn't throw up. I consider going to the butcher without throwing up an accomplishment. But If my family is going to eat chickens, I'd rather have them eating these. Grocery store chicken makes me want to throw up too.

I've got backyard eggs and fresh goat milk and homemade cheese and a nice garden and wild berries and I don't think I'm going to starve.

18. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I wasn't a big lettuce fan in the beginning either, but have learned to make fabulous salads with beans and rice thrown in, pine nuts and other hearty things. Just find the "meat" veggies like eggplant, squash, zucchini, mushrooms (Ok so that's not a veggie)... and there's always tofu which if you know how to prepare properly isn't blah. Even spaghetti tastes great with sauteed zucchini!

19. RockyRooster

RockyRooster Well-Known Member

Had to scroll back up to see and just busted out laughing. I didn't even notice until you brought it up. LOL.

20. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

Edayna: Perhaps you could ease your dau. into homegrown eggs by letting her collect eggs for a neighbor. I had a similar problem this summer, my g-nephew loves lettuce but wouldn't eat it from the garden cause it tastes "funny". After I washed it and put it in a "Dole" bag it tasted great. lol