Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bones are getting more brittle and I break them for no reason. Once again I have a broken Rib. Third time in a year

All I can basically do is take Pain Medication and deal with it. I know it could go into a Lung but hasn't yet.

big rockpile

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
You need to do something to restore your bone density. A friend had his back break lying in bed.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to do something to restore your bone density. A friend had his back break lying in bed.

It's crazy, Doctor has no explanation. She does have me on Vitamin D. She is thinking I'm just falling or whatever and not noticing when I do this. Only time I ever broke a Rib before was years ago, fell on a Rifle and Scope broke two of my Ribs.

I do have degenerative Bone Disease and it mostly seems to effect my Lower Back and Neck.

big rockpile

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
It's crazy, Doctor has no explanation. She does have me on Vitamin D. She is thinking I'm just falling or whatever and not noticing when I do this. Only time I ever broke a Rib before was years ago, fell on a Rifle and Scope broke two of my Ribs.

I do have degenerative Bone Disease and it mostly seems to effect my Lower Back and Neck.

big rockpile
There may be a way/ways to facilitate bone growth. You need to start researching.

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
Rock , I know my mom takes something to make her old bones more dense. So talk again to your doctor. Have you had your bone density checked with that scanner thing yet? The VA did mine. sis

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
There are bone-restoring meds, but they are quite strong. My doctor advised one that I took by pill monthly for about a year. rather than one dose per year ones by inoculation that linger in the body. It worked quite well, my density improved & has stayed level, so I am back off it. Calcium and vitamin D go hand-in-hand. If dairy is difficult for you, some other foods, such as broccoli, are high in calcium.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are bone-restoring meds, but they are quite strong. My doctor advised one that I took by pill monthly for about a year. rather than one dose per year ones by inoculation that linger in the body. It worked quite well, my density improved & has stayed level, so I am back off it. Calcium and vitamin D go hand-in-hand. If dairy is difficult for you, some other foods, such as broccoli, are high in calcium.
Not to have Dairy or Greens because of other medications.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
Vitamin K also strengthens bones. Are you on Coumadin? My brother is, & he refused to give up greens. His doc said that was ok as long as he kept consumption at a steady level. Brother would just need a higher dose. But Brother was warned if he suddenly quit eating greens his prescribed dose would then be too high.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Steroids are hard on your bones. Stay on them long enough and you will develop severe bone degeneration.

BRP if you are falling you need to do something to protect yourself from further falls, if you are breaking ribs just by coughing or sneezing you need to put your head together with you docs and figure out what is going on.

I hear you when you say that you are tired of it. I suffer from muscle/joint pain from my fight with Lyme Disease. Recent trip tot he doc hoping to get off some of my pain meds was the opposite. He tripled my doses. Yes, I'm pain free right now thank God for the first time in a year but the price is dear.

Hope you get to feeling better. I broke two ribs last year when our pups knocked me down on concrete. Broken bones are not fun.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I recently broke my femur bone, ouch. The surgeon told me I have brittle bones. Told me to drink 1 ensure a day for 30 days while I'm healing. Said there was a protein in them that would help the bone.

I'm still drinking them when I can afford too. They are a bit pricey. Maybe they would help you too.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vitamin K also strengthens bones. Are you on Coumadin? My brother is, & he refused to give up greens. His doc said that was ok as long as he kept consumption at a steady level. Brother would just need a higher dose. But Brother was warned if he suddenly quit eating greens his prescribed dose would then be too high.

Yes I'm on Coumadin, was on some other Medication suppose to only take it 14 days, they forgot to take me off. It had my Blood work all messed up.

Truth if I was eating what I was suppose to I wouldn't be eating anything. I do stay away from Alcohol and Caffeine.

Feeling better today.

big rockpile

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So sorry to hear that, BRP. Hope your DW is taking good care of you. :D Tell her I say hi.
She takes care of me but has never been one to Baby me. Truth I wouldn't have it any other way.

She is worried about me going to the Deer woods Saturday, 20's and snow and no Phone because her Phone quit and we can't afford another one right now.

big rockpile

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
My grandma broke rib and vertebrae bones just sitting in her chair, going to the bathroom, getting out of bed, sneezing etc. :( The dr. had her on Fosamax I think but I couldn't see that it did any good. She died of complications of her last broken ribs. :(

·
Registered
133 Posts
She is worried about me going to the Deer woods Saturday, 20's and snow and no Phone because her Phone quit and we can't afford another one right now.

big rockpile
Yeah, I'd be worried about you too. I know that you know how to take care of yourself, but bad weather + broken rib isn't the best combination. Be careful, and good luck on the hunt!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts