Getting Stuck in the Grocery Isle!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Feb 19, 2005.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: ..No matter , which store , I go too , Invariably there is a man\ woman who has left their cart unattended and walked down the Isle looking for some item on their list . Step#2 , Then , a person on one of those infernal electric carts will pullup , directly parallel with the Unattended cart and stop ...and...Shop , and Block the Whole Isle . There are LOTS of Asocial things I would like to say , but My mama would Slap ME from the grave so I just keep my mouth shut and wait for another person to udder an Explective to UNclog the Isle . fordy.. :eek: :)

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I say "EXCUSE ME!" in a rather loud tone of voice. It usually works. :p

3. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

My problem is I seem to have a knack for choosing the wrong aisle. I could be seventh in line, have a vacant counter open up and be first to it, only to find out it's a trainee and the person who was behind me in the first line leaves the store before I do. Or I'll decide to choose the shortest of whichever line there is and, sure enough, the person right in front of me needs to have a price check on their jar of fitzbigerdidget. I'll be leaving the store behind the last person of the longest of the other lines :D

4. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

OH!!! This is one of my pet peeves!!! And when you say "excuse me" you usually get a dirty look instead of an "I'm sorry"!

The other thing that happens ALL the time is people leaving their shopping cart in the middle of a narrow isle so you cannot pass on either side without saying "excuse me" (getting dirty look) or moving their cart for them (getting dirty look).
    WAY too many peope who's mammas' didn't raise them right!

maddy

5. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

This is a cloud with a silver lining. Store employees have to return stock to the shelves every day. When I see an unattended cart that's blocking my way, I take the opportunity to look for items I need so I can shorten my shopping time. I figure I'm saving a store employee time doing returns. Naturally if the cart isn't blocking anything I have a hands off policy. :)

6. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I always return those dirty looks with a smile...really flusters them. :p

7. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i just move the cart so i can pass no agravation and you dont have to speak to anyone

8. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh Isn't life easier when we take the High road?

Good for you.

9. evilbunny

evilbunny Well-Known Member

I'd love to say I've never gotten irritated about an aisle being blocked but I do always try to remember that I'm not the ONLY one shopping and I dont own the store.

It gives me an extra chance to learn a lesson about getting along with others and putting myself in their shoes. My life is busy but its not so busy that I have to get upset or mean to another person just because I'm delayed a few seconds. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. You dont know the reason the other person left the cart there, nor do you know why the person stops where they did. For all you know they are just as upset about having to stop there.

As for the motorized cart, I would rather offer to help that person, they might be sitting right there thinking "I need to buy this product but cant get to it, how do I manage this". A disability is a challenging thing. I actually did offer to help someone recently and they were so glad I would do that.

I remember how my Dad talked to me about how he felt when he couldnt get around by himself any more. Put yourself in their shoes and try to be friendly. It will help you let go of unneeded stress and you will be surprised at how much happier your life seems.

So many of us are in too much of a hurry to consider how someone else feels.

This isnt an attack on you, its a suggestion to look at things differently

10. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.........I agree , we ALL need to be more attuned to the Needs of others and their infirmatives. OTOH , when the electric carts first appeared most users were incapacitated to some degree but now you never know . I've seen very obese folks receive lots of help from other shoppers at random at different locations in the store , Then , I've also seen them get off their scooter and walk over to the freezer and retrieve several gallons of Blue Bell ice cream without waiting for any help whatsoever !! So , it seems to be a question of Motivation rather than actually having a Bonafied need to use the Scooter in the first place . But , I also agree with your general Hypothesis of trying to help those that exemplify a true Need ...fordy.. :eek: :)

11. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

As for the motorized cart, I would rather offer to help that person, they might be sitting right there thinking "I need to buy this product but cant get to it, how do I manage this". A disability is a challenging thing. I actually did offer to help someone recently and they were so glad I would do that. ***********

I also find it simple to ask the person in the cart if I can help. People are usually nice if you are, and if someone is just sitting there in the cart looking, they often are trying to figure out how to reach what they want.

If you move the abandoned cart, you'll usually get an apology. I don't understand why some of y'all think you need to swear to make a point. Shopping is easier for everyone if you're nice.
    mary

12. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

"Originally Posted by evilbunny
    My life is busy but its not so busy that I have to get upset or mean to another person just because I'm delayed a few seconds. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff."

Ok, where do the previous posts say anything about being mean? Saying "excuse me" is hardly being mean. Getting a nasty look in return...THAT is being mean. I usually wait 10-15 seconds for the rude shopper blocking the aisle to notice and move their cart. They virtually NEVER do...so I say "excuse me" to get their attention...and get the nasty look.
    I am not saying it in a rude way, I have a smile on my face...and STILL get the nasty look. If I say nothing but move the cart so I can pass....I get the dirty look.
    I hate receiving a dirty look !from someone that is being rude TO ME!

"Posted by mary,tx
    I don't understand why some of y'all think you need to swear to make a point. Shopping is easier for everyone if you're nice.
    mary"

????Again, where do the previous posts mention anything about swearing?????

13. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

I've 'accidently' run into their carts. HARD. OOPS!!!!

14. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Hehe, I abandon my cart all the time, it's like,"ALL DARN FORGOT THE BREAD!"

and instead of lugging a fully loaded cart, I just leave it there while I fetch that one item I've forgotten!

15. uyk7

uyk7 Well-Known Member

Once at a Big Lots I came up behind a semi-large lady. I said "excuse me" (politely) to which she replied "go down the other aisle". Well, I lost it. I told her that if she wasn't so fat there would be plenty of room and that she could just get her fat ... over so that people could get by; that they was no reason for her to take up the entilre aisle. I then gave my wife the cart and waited in the car. :)

16. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

" There are LOTS of Asocial things I would like to say , but My mama would Slap ME from the grave so I just keep my mouth shut and wait for another person to udder an Explective to UNclog the Isle . fordy.. :eek: :)[/QUOTE]"

sorry that sounded like an inclination to swear to me.

17. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

:haha: Your poor wife! You deserted her after that??? :haha: :haha: :haha: Oh, my gosh! I'd have slapped you!!!! Now I can't stop laughing!

18. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

"

sorry that sounded like an inclination to swear to me.[/QUOTE]

..............I , should have qualified my statement Mary . I , would be the Last person to say much , if anything to Anyone in a demeaning way , actually . My statement was NOT meant to be taken literally , but was written with a "Tongue in Cheek" attitude . Now , I feel much Betta . fordy :eek: :)

19. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

I'm rather amazed at what people get ticked off about. If someone is blocking the aisle I either wait or say excuse me. I've never had anyone give me a dirty look, you must be displaying a nasty attitude somehow to them. If no one is with the cart I move it so I can get by. As for people in the motorized carts, its not for me to judge if they "really" need it. So far I've rarely had one block an aisle for more than a few moments.
    I thought most of us were "homesteaders" because we wanted to enjoy a slower pace of life. So, slow down. What is a minute or two extra in a grocery store going to matter? I've had nice conversations with people while waiting for an aisle to clear or a checkstand to speed up. Life is about people, not clocks.

20. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

The people in the electric carts are usually not handicapped they just are fat and lazy.

mikell