Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are brand new to farming/homesteading. We just got three feeder pigs to raise and are looking to get into something else also. All my like I have loved goats, growing up on and off we had one as a pet here and there. I was thinking about getting into meat goats but the problem I am running into is.. I have no idea what so ever how to sell the meat. We don't personally know anyone that is remotely interested. Where do I sell the meat and how do I find buyer? I would like to get all that worked out BEFORE we move forward at all with purchasing any. Thanks!

Also, we have about 12 acres at our house.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Welcome. I have dairy, not meat goats so I can't help with your questions. Hopefully someone else will pop in and help out.

·
Premium Member
25,070 Posts
Why don't you raise 3 meat goats for yourself. Butcher one for yourself and sell the other 2 at a livestock auction or on CL. IF, and it sounds like your not knowledgeable about butchering a goat, you can find out how on U Tubes. if they don't have how to do a goat. They got plenty on how to do a deer, and its almost the same.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
livestock auctions that do goats, an internet search should bring up some places in your area, they may be some distance, my nearest is about 80 miles and the second one is 120 miles one way, I do sell some time to time to local people,

adds in papers, there are a few add papers that are free, to the taker, the add costs, but could be a possibility,
a local buy and sell face book page for your area, or Craigs list,

talk to your local extension agent and you may be able to get information and sources as well as out lets, to sell, some want 4H projects,

IF there Hispanics or middle eastern populations in your area, there a source of possible customers,

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,433 Posts
It isn't a niche market. Just take them to the local auction. No problem.

·
-Melissa
975 Posts
Make sure your fences are good first. Add a strand or two of electric if needed.
Look up dates for next years holiday to time your sale. If selling to livestock auction, look at the date of the last sale right before the targeted holiday.
http://extension.psu.edu/animals/goats/marketing/ethnic-holiday-calendar
Goat meat sales increase every yr. It is not a niche market. With the increase of middle eastern and hispanic populations and even more "adventurous" non-traditional caucasian the market will continue to expand.

·
Premium Member
25,070 Posts
I ment niche in that for the most part usually only middle eastern and Hispanic populations will be readly interested in the goat market for meat.

·
Premium Member
25,070 Posts
The quality of your fences is determined by the amount of ground they are allowed for pasture. Ive had goats 2 times. The first, I put a fence across the driveway. The second I didn't close it. Never had a problem as they had access to the whole 20, but never did they get out of the barnyard area.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My wife and I are brand new to farming/homesteading. We just got three feeder pigs to raise and are looking to get into something else also. All my like I have loved goats, growing up on and off we had one as a pet here and there. I was thinking about getting into meat goats but the problem I am running into is.. I have no idea what so ever how to sell the meat. We don't personally know anyone that is remotely interested. Where do I sell the meat and how do I find buyer? I would like to get all that worked out BEFORE we move forward at all with purchasing any. Thanks!

Also, we have about 12 acres at our house.
Maybe I'm missing something but I can't figure what part of the country your in! I'm around Springfield Missouri. There have been times that I could have helped someone with items or ideas that I have and don't need if I had been closer but I'm 65 and not ready to travel too far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts