Getting started questions...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Laci, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Laci

Laci Well-Known Member

I'm sure that similar questions have been asked before, but I can't figure out how to get the search feature to work.

My husband and I have been wanting to move out into the middle of nowhere and live on our own for year. Our children are still pretty young, and we'd really like to make the move before they grow up. Are there any books or websites that you guys can recommend that tell what you should know/own before you move onto your own homestead? Tips?

It seems like we're stuck in this spiral of: We have to work cuz we have to pay bills so we can homestead, but we're stuck staying in work and living where we are because we have to work to pay bills, lol! If you own your own plot of land, what else do you need?

I currently live in Oregon...Is that a good place to homestead? Where is the "best" place to homestead?

I know this is vague, but I'm hoping that someone can read my mind, and answer my questions.

Marcy

2. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Personally I think the best place to buy your homestead is where you want to retire to.

Since you are still working and not retired you probably don't think of things that affect retired people. First and foremost you will probably be on a fixed income. Certain states maximize that income by either having no state income taxes, and or no sales taxes, and lower property taxes. Oregon, wven though it doesn't have sales tax has oppresive income and property taxes. They are what stopped me from living around Medford.

Weather as your old bones get to hurting plays a part too. I prefer warm winters where I feel better and where I can easily garden all year round.

Some places land is much less expensive than others. Right now in my area of the Texas Hill Country waterfront flat land is going for about 12K per acre. We happen to be in a very popular place, but we bought some years ago. 40 miles from here the land is about 2500 per acre and a little farther out much less than that.

A good place to get started is to figure out where and start buying the land now - it ain't getting cheaper. BTW, I have 10 wonderful acres - great view, good land, lots of deer for sale around Tonasket, WA if anyone is interested. Kids want me to keep it - its just too far from Texas. Price about 3K an acre IF we were to do it without a real estate agent. Its in the Aeneas Valley.

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

........http://www.bestplaces.com/

.................Marcy , take alook at the above....look in the upper left corner and click on "compare two cities" ... Pick 2 cities from 2 states and it will give alot of data in several different catagories . You also , realize , that you are living in a state that alot of folks would LIKE to MOVE TOO . So you may already be "There" . just be glad you don't live in Texas where it is Hot and humid in north texas where I currently live . I didn't notice what part of Oregon you are currently living in but alot of folks seem to think very highly of the Northeast corner of the state .
    ................I'll just list what I believe are some Major factors in Evaluating a Piece of property for a Potential purchase....(1) Deed restrictions,(2) availability of water and cost to drill a well, utilities, telephone , (3)Asing price per acre vs equivalent parcel prices ,(4) Check local tax authority to see if owner is paidup or behind , and the dollar value(ation) placed upon property by tax authority ,(5) if listed, how long , and WHY won't it sell??? , (6) interview owner and see if they are HOT to sell, i.e. lowball offer :D ,(7)Possible right of way(s) not MARKED upon current survey Plat available at tax Authority office ,(8) How much control does planning and Zoning authority have on property outside of city limits.....I'm sure that other members will chime in with more detailed posts ......fordy... :eek: :)

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Even though you own a little place in the country you have to have an income. The easiest way to give homesteading a test run would be to rent an old farm house where you could have a garden and chickens plus what other livestock you decide you should have. You won't be able to live without a cash flow and that most often comes down to having a job. Some homesteaders develope skills that brings them some income, but unless you can do that already it wouldn't come in play soon enough keep beans on the table the first year.
    Living out in the country for a year would let you learn a multitude of the skills and get an insight into the problems that you must address to do it permantly. By renting to start out you wouldn't need a huge wad of money to be in the middle of "Homesteading>"