Getting soot out of lungs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygrrrl, Jun 5, 2004.

1. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I've been having to spend a lot of time in a house i co-own which burned last week. And the soot from the fire is making me sick as a dog.

I'm taking all kinds of remedies to keep my immune system up , esp. drinking elderberry morning and night :D and taking a good sized shot of Fernet Branca every night (that stuff will put hair on your chest! :eek: ).

Still, my sinuses are swollen like balloons from the soot, my lungs feel horrible, etc.

Anyone know any remedies for forcing that soot out as quickly as possible? :no:

2. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

grapefruitseed extract wixed in water and wash your sinuses, either bend over and pour it in until it drains out the other side or with a nasal spray bottle, lots of sprays, bend over spray until you feel like you will drown then blow your nose, repete as needed or as you can stand it if you are coughing you will need an expectorant.

breathing steam can help too, hot peppers to get the sinuses to run and loosen the gunk.

I wish you a speedy recovery,
    >my head aches just thinking about it<

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Thanks! :)

I forgot about hot peppers, garlic, etc. Good thing I have a mess of it right now. I'll get on the hunt now for grapefruit seed extract.

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

i don't know if this is a dumb suggestion, but get yourself a good respirator mask thing to wear around there! even a high quality paint mask should help! soot is nasty stuff. be careful

jena

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Yes, I know! Fortunately, there's lots of work to be done outside there, so from this point on, I'll probably be staying outside of the house and only going in when I absolutely have to (ie, to talk to repairmen, answer the phone, etc). Meaning I think the worst of my soot exposure is over. Yelch is right.

You know, there's respirator masks there in the garage. I think we've all been too dingy to even think about putting them on, though. :rolleyes:

6. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

You might try some Lobelia extract, I've seen it work wonders quickly for Asthma, also Aerobic Oxygen would be good, the health food store can fill you in on it. If you can't find Aerobic, you can use the 35% Hydrogen Peroxide (caution, the straight stuff will burn you) mix about 10 drops in 8 oz of distilled water and drink, maximum dose is about 25 drops for me but some people take a lot more.

7. apirlawz

apirlawz playing in the dirt

Hey there Countrygrrrl,

First of all, I'm really sorry to hear about your house! I can't begin to imagine what that clean up is like!! :waa:

I have a very old treatment idea for you. It's similar to the treatments for folks with cystic fibrosis to clear secretions from the lungs. Here goes...

First, you want to lie face down on the edge of your bed, with the top half of your body (from the waist up) hanging over the edge, so you form kind of a right angle. Stay this way for about 10-15 mins. Then, have someone lightly pound your back with cupped hands. Find a good bongo player, might make it more entertaining! :p It does sound goofy, but this will help loosen and break up secretions in your lungs and allow you to cough them up.

Hope your doing better soon!
    April

8. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Stuffed peppers and a steam bath do wonders for me. Also that baby soap-Johnson and Johnson brand Vapor bath. It may not be strong enough for what you need however. Try finding a decent mask, but take lots of breaks b/c they are hard to breathe thru, even the ones with the respirator. Get lots of water as well. The peppers are actually "jalepeno poppers"---get the hot peppers, stuff them with cheese, batter 'em and deep fry(or bake, if you prefer). HTH

9. I have a lot of trouble with my lungs/sinuses. I suggest the following:
    *****Rinse your nose many times daily with saline. You know how your nose always runs at the beach? Same principle.
    (Add 1 tsp of salt to 1 cup clean water. Give it a good stir. Cup one hand under your nose and hold your breath. Pour some salt water into your hand. Slowly draw the water up as far as you can into your nasal passages and then gently blow the water out. Repeat until you have used all the water. If the saline stings, you probably have too much salt. Add a little water.)
    ****Consider temporay use of guiafenesin. It is available over the counter now and does a good safe job of thinning stuff out so you can get it out of your system.
    ****If the problem persists, especially with a cough, consider a prescription for an inhaler to calm your lung tissues down.
    ****Wash your face and hands thoroughly every time you go in the house. Cover your head with a scarf you can remove so the soot doesn't keep falling in your face from your hair.
    I hate taking lots of medicines, but things like this can get ugly once the system is aggravated enough.
    Good luck.
    Try the nasal rinse,
    debbie

10. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Fortunately, I'm not having to spend as much time up there this week.

It was getting pretty bad! In any case, yes, I got some expectorant with the guafisen (???) --- have also been taking lots of baths and hanging upside down and eating lots of hot stuff --- and have ordered some mullein. :)

A friend of mine told me about a netty pot that she uses for her sinuses, so i'm looking around for one of those, too.

Thanks for the suggestions --- I'll be having to go back in thewe in a few days for several days :no: and i think I'll be pretty well prepared this go-round.

12. ShadyLady

ShadyLady Member

13. Astralagus is great.
    It is a good herb for the lungs, and also good for rallying the body to do what it needs to heal.

14. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Whoa! Thanks for the link to the neti pot!

Unfortunately, my sinuses have gone into fullblown rebellion against the soot ... and I don't yet have a neti pot. :waa: I feel lousy! So think I'll just be staying out of that house til they get it cleaned and get all the soot out.

15. To stay our of the house is probably a good idea. Maybe trying to get soot out of the lungs is kind of like trying to get nicotine out of the lungs?