Getting Skunk out of Livetrap?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ken Scharabok, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

OK, anyone want a skunk? As is, where is.

How do you get a skunk out of a livetrap without it leaving its essence?

Ken Scharabok

2. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

As I recall, you put a sack or a towel over the cage and they won't spray if they can't see--kind of a self-preservation maneuver, if you get my drift...

Let me know how it works! :haha: :haha:

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Cover the live trap with burlap, carry trap, skunk, and burlap to the nearest body of water and sink it.

4. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

I would have someone shoot it from a long distance. A good skunk is a dead skunk. If it is shot right it may not emit any odors. If it does, let it set for awhile, say a month or so... :haha: :haha:

5. kosh

kosh Well-Known Member

Last summer i was trying to catch a woodchuck that was eating my garden. The trap instead caught a skunk. I used a big tarp. held that in front of me as I slowly walked towards the trap. I put the tarp over it and no spraying. I then released him and he took off. Good luck!

Peace,
    Jason

6. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Many years ago when I ran a trap line every winter, I'd carry a can of starter fluid, a coffee can, and some old rags in the trunk of my car. If I didn't want the skunk to spray I'd put the rags in the can, saturate the rags with starter fluid, and work the can over the skunk's head. In a few minutes it was one good skunk.

7. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

one time i put meat out when the skunk was eating id sneak up behind him grab him by the tail got rid of him another time a skunk had his head stuck in a jar walked up behind him got his head out threw him in the weeds another time a skunk had his head stuck in a small hole in thje side of a 50 gallon drum i grabed his tail tryink to free his ears out of the hole i was so into trying to free kunk didnt realize i let his back feet hit the stell drum well you know they cant spray unless they have there feet to give preashure well thats a day ill remember for shure

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ken, if you are careful you can get a tarp over the trap. After covering the trap connect a hose/pipe to an exhaust pipe and slip that under the tarp and gas him to death. Do not shoot him, he will discharge if you do.

9. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

We cought a skunk this summer in a live trap. My husband threw a feed sack over the cage and opened it up. The skunk left and no one got sprayed. Lucky for hubby as I told him he would have to sleep outside... :haha:

10. sdrew

sdrew Well-Known Member

Ken, I JUST released one, scent-free about a week ago. I had him in a hav-a-hart trap,... just walked right up to him and put a towel over the cage. Put him in my brand new (used) vehicle that i'd had for only a week, and drove him to a nice new location away from houses. He never sprayed, thank goodness. He/she was so calm, I was amazed. When I released him, he just strolled off without any alarm.
    Steve

11. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

I would not be quite as brave a drew, would use a pickup, but if you cover the cage (towel, tarp, blanket, etc.) you should be safe. When you release (assuming you wanted to release it), reach under with a gloved hand without removing the covering and open the door away from you. Usually they will stroll away (but have the soap ready for the less cooperative cases).

Of course on the bad side of this, one of my neigbors went through this last month. All went well, until he desided he had to have one look under the tarp before he release. DO NOT put you face down by the tarp to take a peek :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: .

12. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Along that line, once at deer camp at Land Between the Lakes, Kentucky, a skunk came sauntering through camp and we dared one of my cousins to catch it by the tail. Well, he eazed around to where the skunk couldn't see him and then dashed in and grabbed its tail, and up it went; no spray, no nothing. While he was yet laughing at his exploit well executed the skunk managed to get a toe hold on old Cuz's coveralls. That little varmint hosed him from head to hindquarters quick as a wink.

It was a good laugh, but old Cuz wasn't done in just yet. He caught the skunk again, after he caught his breath, knocked it in the head and declared he would eat it of someone would cook it. Well, I said that I would cook it in my ash shovel if he would skin it; he did, and I did.

From well down wind, he declared it to be fair eating.

13. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

LMAO! Um taste like chicken/ but smells kinda funny! :D

14. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

I shoot them in the head while they're in the trap... if the trap needs to be moved from where it is to a safe shooting place, I do the tarp thing. As long as you're calm and don't make hasty moves or some such, they usually don't spray.
    Around here, skunks are the main carriers of rabies, so I'd never get my hands anywhere close to one. Even if they don't have rabies, their teeth are something to stay away from! The good thing is that they give you a warning before they get too upset - they stomp their front feet on the ground with a little hop :)

15. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Ken, I hope someone is taking photos of YOU and the SKUNK during all this for a COUNTRYSIDE article!!!!!! (hehehe) We always love your articles, and no kidding, this might be a good one!

16. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Ken, Steve and others have the right of it. You need to know we have discussed this many times and doing a seach might yield you more info. ;)

Trapped many dozens of skunks here of both species and released them without ever getting sprayed. It is important to take into account what is around the skunk. Are there dogs out? Other livestock that might have it all scared? If not than the above advice re walking up calmly and slowly with some kind of cover held in front of you(large towel, old sheet, whatever)and laying it gently over trap will work fine.

I find a nice place around water to let them go. They are valuable mousers and ratters as well as eaters of many harmful insects.

good luck...LQ

17. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

remindes me of a couple months ago. The wife and I went camping with some friends down in AR. Late the second night we were sitting round the campfire and an armadillo strolls by. Cool!! Then two skunks scout the ground and decide coffee sounds good.

I was content to sit still and watch them having fun. Lucky for my my wife's friend didn't freak out (city girl). So no one got hosed ;)

18. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Hey Ken did you get sprayed?

19. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Ken,
    I just read this, so you have probably handled the problem. All I would add to the above is to use an old shower curtain. As you approach the trap, hold the curtain so the skunk cannot see your face. Lay the curtain over the trap and pick up the trap and the shower curtain. When you release the skunk, pull the shower curtain back from the cage door, stand behind it, and open it. The skunk will just walk away.
    GObug

20. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Yes and no on spraying. Covered trap, put on tail gate and took skunk to other side of creek at far end of farm. Put covered trap on ground and propped open trapdoor with a stick. As it was leaving, the stick slipped and slamming door spooked it. I plan on going to retrieve the trap in a couple of weeks.

Ken