Getting Shetland Sheep this Summer

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by melwynnd, Apr 11, 2005.

1. melwynnd

melwynnd living More with Less!

Well, I've gone and done it. Contacted a Shetland breeder in Montana and reserved three ewe and one ram lamb to be picked up when they are weaned. I'm so excited! My husband isn't :no: . He says sheep just die for no reason. I tell him that it shoudn't bother him then if that was true I wouldn't have them for long :D . But I'm pretty good at keeping critters alive.

I did have a question for anyone with Shetlands. Do you shear, or pluck(roo) the wool. Not sure which I'd like to try so I thought I'd get some input.

Thanks,

Sherry

2. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

Congrats on your sheep-to-be! I like to get the fleeces off the ewes before lambing, so I shear them (the fleece hasn't started to shed yet). The boys I often don't get to until warmer weather (June/July), so I've rooed them, although it depends on how loose the fleece is, & whether I'm in any hurry.

3. seymojo536

seymojo536 Well-Known Member

My husband isn't :no: . He says sheep just die for no reason. I tell him that it shoudn't bother him then if that was true I wouldn't have them for long

Congradulations on your new herd! Boy have you got your Hubby fooled. As long as they have forage, water and salt/minerals, Shetlands are pretty much a get out of their way breed. They are gonna be around for a long time. He'll just have to get used to the idea. Have him take a chair out in the pen with some sheep cookies and watch the fun. He'll be hooked once they warm up to him.

Still 2 weeks to go before we see any lambs. Can't get here soon enough.