Getting "sandy gravely" Maine $$$?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MikeJoel, Apr 3, 2005.

1. MikeJoel

MikeJoel Well-Known Member

I can't get hold of anyone right now up there so I thought maybe someone here would know.

Trying to work out a quick estimate on the cost of the septic system so everyone knows a BASIC idea of it.

We are going to need what is called "sandy gravel", the septic designer says it is fine gravels with sandy mix (but with as little dirt and clay in it since that packs in and will clog the system).
    I imagine it is like the stuff you see in streams :)

Well anyway, I can't find pricing for it. Some are saying you can pick it up yourself for $1.00 a sq yard (we could but ouch the time).
    That to me sounds TO cheap to be the truth.

Has anyone had to use this in their leach field and know what they paid per either square yard or ton or what?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

http://www.pksandandgravel.com/ag_pit.htm

this is the only internet, listing I could locate in Maine,
    but it probably is a workable guide,

if you need a lot just have them deliver, it will save you much time and probably will not cost you much more then the fuel you would spend in wearing out you pick up in trying to get you self, the stuff is very heavy, about a ton and 1/2 a yard, on my old 53 ton and half truck 3 yards is full load, weight wise, and 2 yards is better for the truck but 2 yards looks like nothing when placed on the Gounod,

call your redi mix company in the area your dealing with and price it, they will probably have the best price, with mileage,

my guess is if you use clean gravel or the stone sand mix that would be mixed in to concrete would do a good job,
    (in our area we are lucky enough to have river ran gravel that is of the right proportions for good concrete, and do not have to use crushed stone and sand).

3. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

I do not know about Maine, but here in Texas the OSSF rules state that the leach field will be shredded tires, crushed concrete, chambers, or washed rock between .75 and 2.00 inches in diameter. Most people in this area buy what is called inch and 1/2 washed rock. No sand in it at all. I can't quote any real or firm prices, but I think someone told me it cost them about $250 to get around twelve yards of it delivered a couple of months ago.

Now, it is standard to use about four inches of pea gravel or other class Ib, or III material under the tank itself, but then again, Maine may be quite different than Texas I guess.

Also, Texas has the complete rules for onsite sewer facilities online, so perhaps maine does as well.

Rowdy

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

In central Maine Last year I paid $500 (close enough) for 3 -12yard loads of packing gravel (1inch less) for the underlayment of slab (10*30) and driveway repair. Although its not the same stuff...I would expect 9-15 $ a yard plus a delivery charge due to full prices....roads are posted so you may have to wait.

The soil varies widely across the state and you want to be extra careful if you are in clay soil or low lying area when you do the septic. To have your "average" septic put in by a contractor I would guess $5000. Maybe more because PVC etc is very high.

We know several people state wide that do septic work (my husband works at the supply store).....just give a general vicinity and we might be able to give you a name.....estimates are usually free!

If you do it yourself you still need an approved septic design and then the plumbing inspector will have to come out and certify it. FYI

5. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

7. sdrew

sdrew Well-Known Member

IF you're in Southern Maine, give these folks a call,....

Maietta Sand & Gravel
    Scarborough, ME 04074
    Phone: (207) 883-9546