Getting rust off iron fence

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Joey Wahoo, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Joey Wahoo

Joey Wahoo Well-Known Member

We have an old cast iron fence around a cemetary on our place. Its rusted badly. Is there any easy way to stip and paint the fence?

thanks in advance

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I can't remember how it is spelled, but it sounds like 'osflo' when spoken. The chemical is widely used in the metal working industries. You paint it on and it makes the rust stop and become a hard surface, then regular paint after that. This is available at most hardwears; I am sure someone will know the correct spelling later in this thread.

3. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Sandblast?

Hubby used his grinder to buzz the rust off our antique iron headboard ... it was quite the project, though. You'd probably spend the rest of your life trying to do a fence of any size!

Also, be aware that older paint likely contains lead.

4. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Use a rust converter product. You can buy it just about anywhere they sell paint.

5. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I would Ospho it is phosphoric acid and it will convert the rust. You can then prime and paint. All you need to do is wire brush the rust and then either spray on the Ospho or put it on with a sponge. Let is set over night and then paint.

Bobg