Getting rid of squirrels???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Queen Bee, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Any suggestion on how to keep squirrels from 'living' in your house. I work for an elderly lady, she lives in a very wealth neighborhood (so shooting them is out). The squirrels have gotten behind the 'flashing' around the roof over her sunroom and are chewing/have chewed throught to the attic. I think they are building nests up there. They are actually the between the ceiling and roof of the catherial ceilings in her living room. We can't run them out or trap them up there , to remove them. I placed two huge bars of moth-cakes in the 'run ways' but they only kept them at bay for a day. I placed a plastic owl out there, it kept them away for two days. I placed a trap in the attic area with peanut butter, haven't caught anything in two months. She is not out side at all and I don't go out much. She had no dogs/cats and there are non that are loose. We had a guy come last yr. and charge 300.00 to fix the
    screen on the ends. suggestions???

2. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

When we were in the city we trapped them in the Have-A-Heart traps, then I relocated them to the park. Its a little work but the year I did it I didn't have as much trouble with them in the garden. We would put seeds, old bread with peanut butter on it, crackers in the traps. Somedays I would catch 2-3 squirrels. Hope this helps.

Derek

3. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

If you can get to the area where they are coming in, you could staple some hardware cloth over the opening. You might want to get some other estimates also, the one you got sounds high. Hardware cloth would be more of a deterent than screening, as they can chew through that. As Derek said, bait your trap with peanut butter and some sunflower seeds. We use two traps outside - have caught 7 so far this spring, about 15 last summer, and really put a dent in the population when we caught 62 the year before!

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

If they already have nests in there, they will not leave. If you screen them out and they already have babies, then you will have dead baby squirrels in the attic. You really need to find someone who will go into the attic and remove everything that is there. Squirrels will make more than one nest in a season, so waiting for the babies to grow up isn't really an option unless you are willing to wait until winter.

Hot pepper sprinkled near all places of entry, and in the attic will help to keep them out once the nests are gone.

5. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

hehe, i never have a problem with too many of the little meals.

i'd use rat traps in your case though, rat traps have a million and one uses, just find the right one for your particular need :)

6. Garden Ear

Garden Ear A-Maize-ing

What kind of squirrels are they? The little red ones?

7. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Once they figure out how to get into an attic, they cannot be kept out. If you trap and relocate them, they will get into somebody else's attic. It's a sad fact, but you must exterminate them.

They have 2 litters each year. Last fall's litter will be kicked out of the nest soon, as this year's first litter leaves the nest. In the second month of life, the little squirrels get their gnawing teeth and start chewing on everything. This is when the electric service can be damaged and cause a fire.

You won't be able to keep mom out of the attic with any covering. She'll just make a new hole.

Traps work great, but if you put them in the attic there are tricks that are needed. They will not go into a cage that is setting on the rafters with space below the cage. You must place it on a board. The attic is not the best place, because their nest is usually in the area you can't get at.

Mother squirrel leaves the nest each day by the same path. It is easier to place the trap in her path rather than in the attic. You might place the trap on the roof, but you will have to secure it with a chain or screws. Place the entry facing down hill.

Peanut butter is nearly irresistable to squirrels.Put peanut butter near the entrance, and on the trigger. Then take a slice of apple and use a tree twig to support it just beyond the trigger (inside the trap). Spread peanut butter on the apple slice.

Dunk the trap in a trash can of water to disperse the poor critter.