Getting Rid of Skunks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Al Tent, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Al Tent

Al Tent Member

I know that some of you have tricks for getting rid of skunks without breaking out the gun. I could really use some advice.
    Thanks,
    Al

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Live trap them, then surround the trap with a large garbage bag to which you tie off one end tightly around something like a metal drain or rain gutter pipe and let the exhaust from a running vehicle go in there to kill it. It's probably the most humane and practical way to get rid of a problem skunk.

Skunks in this area are plentiful and quite a nusiance. Neighbor up the road when they started the nursery, the first year eradicated over 30 skunks. It would keep one busy constantly in the summer to trap and drive them away any distance, so extermination is the best solution. I've had quite a bit of chickens killed by skunks at night, dogs sprayed, and the grass terribly dug up when they search for grubs. I really don't like skunks. I'll be glad if any of ya'll want to pick them up here and live release them in your neighborhood. :haha:

3. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

A friend of mine had one move into his workshop. All he did was leave the door open and fire up his table-saw. The perfumed kitten was gone within five minutes, and he never did come back inside.

As for myself, I've dislodged a skunk from a lumber pile. All I did was expose his nest, give him a few gentle prods with a LONG stick and he shuffled off to other parts where he could continue his nap unisturbed. According to my friend skunks really do not like loud noises, or having their nests disturbed. As long as you don't get so close that Pepe thinks you are a threat to his life, I don't think you will be in much danger of being 'skunked'. From my experience, they are pretty much non-confrontational unless they are directly threatened.

4. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

I got some stuff in a can at the farm store. Its like sand but it has bobcat urin in it. I sprinkeled it in the evening and never saw another one till about 3 months later. I repeated and then never saw one in about a year now.

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Getting rid or the skunks in your area may be as simple as getting rid of their food supply whether it be grubs or other.

6. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

I borrowed a live trap cage from the local game warden and caught 6 skunks that were getting into my chicken house and eating the eggs. I put a small can of smelly cat food in the trap and that got one in there fairly quick. I would throw a sheet around the cage and pick up the cage and put it in the back of the truck and take them into the mountains to release. The game warden told me to take them at least 15 miles away or they could return. I only took them 12 miles and they haven't been back. I got sprayed about 5 times until I perfected the process. Never got sprayed during the release though. I guess all they could think of was getting out of that darned cage. It has been about 2 years now and haven't seen or smelled a skunk.
    Used lemon extract in the washer to get rid of skunk odor on clothes and the sheet and used baking soda and hydrogen peroxide mixed with liquid soap to get the odor off of me and my dogs.

7. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I have an Australian/German shepard mix that kills every skunk he can find. It's something you might consider.

8. melinda

melinda Well-Known Member

A friend recently had some under her house, and was trying to figure out how they were getting in there - she was told to put flour on the ground and follow the footsteps. That was how she figured out their entrance point so she could fix it!

9. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

I have a Border Collie mix Bulldog, and I think he goes looking for Skunks. It just makes his day, and we always know he has been snacking when he flops back up on the porch all fat, shiny ,and smelly. Yes thats right people this dog eats them.He also eats every ground-hog, and snakes. We feed the tar out of him , but he just likes fresh things I guess. You want him?Just playing, but really do you like dogs.Marty.