Getting rid of morning glory?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by kesoaps, Jul 11, 2006.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

It' s been slowly creeping in, but this year it's absolutely taken off. Three feet high, climbing up the trees and rosees. Whats the best way to kill it off? I can't begin to keep up with the roots and am willing to kill off the entire bed in exchange for being morning glory free...

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd cover it up with something heavy...plastic, feed bags, etc. That should kill it off.

3. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

I just keep pulling it, make sure it does not bloom and go to seed; worked with the thistle and slowly working with the mile a minute here. Roundup should not hurt the roses and trees if you want to go that route yet the old seed in the ground will grow everytime you disturb the soil. What puzzles me is that people buy morning glory to plant.

4. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, 'morning glory to plant' is a beautiful vine that is EASLY killed with the first frost..unlike it onery renegade cousin the bindweed...'morning glory'. I too am fighting bindweed in my garden and am SLOWLY thinning it out. I put down LOTS of mulch and as the weakened stems crawl through all the mulch they get pulled off every day if I can. It is weakening the root systems and hopefully since they aren't getting a chance to photosynthesize they will die. NOt a good solution for a large space but I'm doing it becuse the 5 applications of Round-up last year and 5 again just this spring did NOT kill it off not to mention the cost! I'v heard that if you spray it in the late fall right before frost that it is most effective because the plant will draw in the spray down into it's roots and kill off the whole plant. Which is good...except that by then it has already dropped a zillion or more seeds onto the ground...unless you've been able to keep the flowers off the vines up until that time...and that seems kinda impossible. I put down a real thick layer of cardboard, then a thick layer of sawdust and then every blade of grass from the lawn has gone on top of that....and that is really helping with the weeds and water retention! :)

5. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

People also buy thistle to plant. Most cultivars of perennials are weeds that have been chosen for different characteristics. You can buy ornamental goldenrod, thistle, mints, daylillies, amaranthus, and veronica. All are weeds. Cultivatred morning glories are annuals in zone 5. The best way to get rid of them is to put down a pre-emergent herbicide in the spring, before they germinate.

6. tiffnzacsmom

tiffnzacsmom just me Supporter

dig it all up and send it to me to choke out the weeds growing on the power plant side of my fence line.

7. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I was really hoping you'd say to torch it or something, lol! I've been pulling the past few years, but can't keep up with it any longer. Tried covering a portion of the garden and it shot runners to the lawn and grew back to the mulch on top of the feed sacks.

I now know how Adam and Eve felt after having such a lovely garden...this blasted stuff is here because I dug up a peony that was at the base of a house about to be burned. I should have asked, but instead my neighbor and I ran over and grabbed a few dormant plants (the place had been for sale for years; the owners lived out of town.) But deep inside the earth was a seed...a bad seed that followed me home in the root of the peony... :Bawling:

8. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I wanted to move a strawberry plot out of the morninglory area I have so when I dug up each plant I hosed each root off into a bucket of water...hoping to wash off any seeds. Then took the bucket of water far and away to dump each time! It seemed to work and so now every time I get a root from out of my area I always wash off the dirt and throw that away before I plant. Sorry that nasty seed piggy-backed home with you. Tiny things, words, seeds, etc. can grow to cause such problems, huh? I hope you can find a way to control it somehow.