getting ready to breed

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BlessedMom, Sep 27, 2004.

1. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Okay, we are getting ready to breed our goats. We got her this spring and will be getting another female this week. Is there any advice you can give me before we breed? I'm so new, I want to make sure I do everything I can right. I never would have though a four legged animal with droopy ears would capture my heart!

:)

BlessedMOM

2. DWFarms

DWFarms Member

If you start breeding now you will have to make sure the babies have a warm place for the winter births. I breed at this time but I have heated birthing stalls.

Most breeders breed there goats around November for April Babies. The weather isn't so cold.

3. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Other than what DW said you need not do anything special in our opinion. Some folks on here suggest washing the bucks penis before and after and other human interventions but we look at it this way; goats have been reproducing un-assisted for millennia so other than picking the day to place them together we leave nature to rule the day.

4. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

Worm them, BoSe, and CD/T. Make sure feet are trimmed so they are comfortable.

I don't know anyone who washes buck penises -- not even at the A.I. collection.

Tracy

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I don't know anyone who washes buck penises

Tracy he likely means me. When we outside service does here, the bucks penis gets washed with novalsan. I just grab a handful and as he brings his penis back in after the second breeding, it goes through the glob of nolvasan in my hand. I certainly don't do this when I breed my does :yeeha:

Yep, Bo-se, CD&T, trim feet and one of their only two scheduled wormings. Vicki

6. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

Vicki, wouldn't the Novalsan be spermacidal though? Seems like it may have a detrimental effect on the buck's next cover?

Tracy

7. Lt. Wombat

You were the penis washer Vicki? I couldn't remember who or why I just know that I had read it somewhere :)

I guess the reason I didn't mention feet, shots and stuff is we rarely do feet because the girls favorite place to play in on one of 3 huge rock piles or their wooden spools (they have non slip glued to them) so they’re naturally short but need some shaping every now and then. Bo-Se isn't needed here as our selenium levels are OK and we worm weekly (pickle juice) (wink to Vicki). Our CD&T program has them schedule for injections before breeding all the time so it isn’t a special event either.

I guess I should have included that as I didn’t mean to mislead that nothing need to be done.

8. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Elucidate, please! :confused: I would really love to know what this is about!

Meg :)

9. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

:haha: :haha: Washing a buck penis??? Ok guys, in all due seriousness I do believe this does need to be done as you say, BUT......never in all my years of having goats heard of or read that, hmmmm.........interesting. Somehow I equate and rank that job up there with having to milk Magellan (my milking buck) this yr. I sure hope I don't have to but noticed 2 days ago he had his usual half a udder and swelled teat. He hasn't swelled up in 2 yrs, guess its hormones or the full moon? YUK, he has to be checked, but he is really ripe, still thinks he needs hugs and cookies though. I think I'll don rubber gloves and a gas mask!

Bernice

10. Lt. Wombat

Meg, we were talking a while back about worms and I mentioned that we use an herbal weekly. Vickie joked that with our hard freezes we could worm with pickle juice as worms just do not exist up here to be an issue, but they are heavy in the warm humid states where she must use heavy duty stuff to keep ahead of them.

11. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Hi Tracy, I actually starting using the nolvasan after an AI clinic and we where talking about outside servicing, and I really wanted something to make sure my buck was not going to pick up an STD from a does vagina. Nolvasan was the answer, used in stallions. I actually hadn't even given it much thought, or let a buck breed one of my does right after being used, in fact if a youngster is breeding that day a doe in heat, than I will make the folks use their second choice, rather than have a young buck breed me, them them, me in just the 12 hour period. That is an interesting idea though about it being a spermacide.

And picklejuice? You had better be saving all them worm threads in a big thick notebook for your move down south :) The copper articles, the selenium issues, lice mites nosebots Vicki :p

12. BlessedMom

13. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I give bo-se, cd/t, b complex and one other one that I can't remember for the life of me right now.
    I have learned to ask the lady that raises top notch nuebians in this area instead of my vet. She knows what is needed much better than he does.
    I also worm and trim hooves. I don't understand why you would wait till Nov to breed but then you must be a lot farther north than I am. I plan to start the breeding season here right about now so they will all be born in March. That worked out well for me this last Spring. :)
    I also will give red cell a little more heavely during their pregnancys. I got a real scare with one of my does this last spring. I almost lost her. I don't want that to happen again. :( Red cell does not have meat by products in it anymore.)
    My goats hate it but .... oh well! :)

14. Lt. Wombat

I wish we could breed now but the weather is too unstable to risk it. Last winter we had a high of 7 deg for a week with a 25 mph wind dropping the chill factor to about -65 or something nasty. You vehicles won't even start in that stuff.

15. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

The C/D & T is to immunize your animals agains enterotoxemia and tetanus.. the BoSe is a selenium supplement... the C/D & T is a very important immunization IMO.. don't really use the BoSe so I cannot comment on it.

Hope this helps

16. BlessedMom

Okay, she has had the C/D & T in January. We have her on a schedule with a friends goats and he does all of them. We are in the Northwest and selenium is not suppose to be a problem. How would I know if she needs this?

Thanks!