Getting ready for Hurricane Dennis

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BamaSuzy, Jul 9, 2005.

1. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

we're in north central Alabama and we may get the tornadoes, high winds, and much rain from hurricane Dennis....the hotels and motels around here are all booked solid because of folks evacuating from the coast....

we don't have do too much to get ready because I have water already saved in jugs and food and other things because of our "prepardeness" [thanks to years of reading Jackie Clay and Dave Duffy at Backwoods Home Magazine!]...

But we are making sure we have batteries for my police and fire scanner and for a small battery radio; we cook on propane and that tank is adequate; and we have kerosene lamps and big fat candles for when the electricity goes out...

I've done as many articles as I possibly can today for the weekly newspaper I edit "just in case" we loose electricity and loose our Internet access...

So now it's a time of wait and see.... this is just another reminder that we ALL should ALWAYS have our emergency plans in place....

2. alabamared

alabamared Well-Known Member

I'm in northwest Bama. Ivan knocked our power out for 5 days last year. We are always prepared. I like to laugh ( behind my hand of course) at the people who complain about the A/C being out, no TV, or having to buy ice.
    Red

3. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

It is taking a path similar to ivan from sept 16 last year. current forecast is to regain cat 3 strength and possibly cat 4 before landfall:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT4+shtml/092058.shtml

last year with ivan we got tropical storm winds to 50 and oodles of rain here at AL/MS line in northeast MS. Be safe everyone :)

4. ozarksnick

ozarksnick Don't Tread On Me!

Be safe all.

My wife and I's family live near Destin, Fla., so they're right in the path. My wife's parents are out of country presently, but my mother decided to stay.

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a brother, niece and SIL just north of Mobile (Creola). He was home last year on two weeks R&R from Iraq when Ivan hit. Called my mom in NW AL to see if she'd heard from him and she had. Said he was ready for Dennis.

Here in NW MS we already have flash flood warnings and I haven't seen a drop of rain. That will probably change by Monday though and we may go from drought to flood real quick!

6. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

We live in mid Alabama, spent the day washing clothes/sheets so that if the power goes out we'll have clean stuff. Also put lots of containers of water in the freezers so that they'll stay cold longer. After Opal and Ivan, we were without power for 7-8 days. We have a generator, which we'll run a few hours each day for freezers and such, even get on the internet for a while if the phone line isn't knocked out. We'll take showers in the trailer as we can run the propane for hot water out there. Hope the weather doesn't get too hot though as after the other hurricanes it was fall and a little cooler than July.

Announced on the news that the motels in Birmingham were booked solid.

We're keeping everyone closer to the coast in our prayers.
    Dawn

7. Scott in Florida Panhandl

Scott in Florida Panhandl Well-Known Member

Latest from the National Hurricane Center says that Dennis may be a Category 4 at land fall. We're catching pretty heavy feeder bands now with heavy rain and winds in the Panama City, Fl. area.

8. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

While we aren't in drought conditions, we really need rain here in West-central, TN. Ground is so dry a couple days of good soaker rain might not even raise the creeks all that much. Now if we get 6" overnight, well, that's another story.

Nothing much I can do to prepare further. I get my water from a spring and have a couple of weeks supply of 'eat from the can' items stocked up. If it looks like very severe weather coming into the area, I can put my eBay store on vacation notice so buyer's don't get upset when they don't receive an order confirmation quickly.

9. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

Best wishes to all of you in harm's way - we will be praying for everyone's safety.

My Bro. & his wife lived in Mobile in the early 80's. I thought it was a beautiful little city. It makes me sad to think what might happen to it today.

10. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

We're just East of Birmingham.

We were up before 6 this morning and moved all the animals around, again. We've got all the parrots in the barn. The serval is in a cage in the bathroom. We've brought Sam, our beloved Pyrenese inside. We took the turkeys out of their tractor and put them loose on the floor with the Orloffs. We took the sebastapols out of their tractor and put them in the pen with the African geese. All three of the muscovies (yep, even the drake) are diligently sitting on 27 eggs in their little dog house; I hope they're gonna be ok. The ferrets are secured. The guinea pigs and chinchillas are back in smaller pet cages in the living room floor. The pheasant and peafowl chicks are back in the house under the kitchen table.

Cornbread is in the oven and we'll use that old wyandotte rooster that's been in the crockpot since yesterday to make chicken and dressin'. Excuse me while I sing now:

"I'm staaaanding, on the rock of ages...safe, from all the storms that rages..."

"HE can say PEEEEACE...be still, HE can say PEEEACE...be still..."

"Let come, what may, on life's dark sea, my Blessed LORD, will pilot me"

11. Anniebek

Anniebek Well-Known Member

In Mobile here...not too bad, still have power. It is rainy and windy. We are wondering how my mother's house in Navarre is doing, she evacuated to North Alabama. We aren't expecting the worst of it for another couple of hours, but we are on the good side of the storm, so we won't have too much here.

Anniebek

12. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

My whole Ho****e team prayed for those who may be in harm's way of Dennis last Wednesday- I understand it weakened just prior to landfall. Eye Went right over my coworker's son's house near Pensacola. Lots of branches down, 98 is washed out (again) no power, but everyone seems safe.

13. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Why did H O S P I C E wind up as starries??

14. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

I think the starred letters spell out a not so nice slang term.

We're doing well here, lost a tree that pulled out the power line (and part of the roof) to my father-in-law's house and lots of debris but we didn't lose power, although it has flickered off and on all night and day. Still might lose power as there are some trees leaning precariously over the lines in places. Chickens are having a ball in the yard as the bugs seem to have all come up out of the soaked ground.

15. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

We made it with just numerous downed trees all over Blount County last night but there was several rotations in the air along the Straight Mountain Ridge seperating Blount and St. Clair County....our EMA director said if the weather had been "just so" that would have formed more than one tornado!

We had one tree fall on a mobile home just south of Oneonta and some other minor wind damage....

Our electricity didn't go off until TODAY when I was hurrying home from the county commission meeting to write up my last four articles for this week's newspaper....so I went to Cullman County and finished the paper.....now the power is back on....

I can be as prepared as possible but so far can't afford any kind of solar or generator to back up these computers.....

But otherwise we were all o.k. There were several in our county without electricity all night and crews are still working.

We were blessed to have no more damage than we did

16. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Glad to know you came through alright!! I think ya'll had more wind and rain than we did down here on the gulf. Now to prepare for Emily.... I keep telling myself "we WILL get through this season..."

17. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

so cricket, I guess this means you are all ok there? How about all your animals.
    I was very worried for you.