Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a deal (maybe) from a local guy on Craigslist. I'm getting three rabbits. One doe (3 months) and two bucks (3 moths and 1 year) the three month are brother and sister. I think they are a California and new Zealand cross.

I'm totally new to rabbits so all I'm asking for is the biggest tip(s) you would give a Newby. If you could know one thing starting out they you didn't, what would it be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone. And as far spouse is concerned, in a single mom. It's just me and my ten year old daughter and she is ALLLLLL for it!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Starting thinking now what you will do in the summer. Rabbits die very easily in the heat. Bucks also go sterile in the heat. You will need a way to keep them very cool in the Texas heat.

Our first year we lost a couple to heat and we had wire cages up off the ground, a constant breeze and deep shade. Wasn't enough. The reason I say start thinking now is because when it is 98 degrees and you are losing a rabbit per day, is not the time to try and figure it out. And our temps can spike like that even in "spring" sometimes so you have to be ready.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome advice. I had read a lot about hear and rabbits and that's why I waited till 'fall'. lol Texas fall. I will have a plan in place by the end of the year. Thanks again.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so right now I have them in a chicken tractor. First off, is this a problem mixing the sexes? Second, is it normal that they all try and hump each other?

I move the tractor daily and so far anything they have dug wasn't deep enough to escape.

My main question now is it ok to let the males and female be together? When she gets pregnant, do I need to put her in her own cage close to time to deliver?

Thanks every one. Here's a pic of the tractor. Lol don't judge my yard. The rabbits love the clover. lol

ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1413850295.742174.jpg

·
Registered
396 Posts
It's hard to tell from the picture, but those kinda look like Dutch rabbits to me. If so, I have raised those before, and they are nice rabbits.

I would be concerned about housing them all together. First, the doe is coming up on the age when she could be bred (if the breeder was even a little off on the ages, or if the doe is precocious, she may already be bred). Second, the rabbits could end up fighting at any time- the bucks fighting each other, or the doe attacking a buck to keep it from trying to breed her.

Many people raise rabbits in a colony setting, with does and a buck living together. It is not my preference as you have no control over breeding, but some do a modified colony where the does are kept together and the bucks are kept in separate cages and brought to the does when the owner wants to breed, then returned to their cage.

Once your doe is bred, I would separate her. Bucks may continue to try to breed her, and she could get ugly with them. 28 days after she is bred, you will need to give her a nest box and some hay so she can ready her nest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts