Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first post here, after several months of looking at the forum.

I have just got a couple of 8wk old pigs and it seems they have designated a spot right in front of the gate to their pen as the latrine. Any tips on how to persuade them to move this to a more suitable spot of my choosing?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Hi, first post here, after several months of looking at the forum.

I have just got a couple of 8wk old pigs and it seems they have designated a spot right in front of the gate to their pen as the latrine. Any tips on how to persuade them to move this to a more suitable spot of my choosing?

Thanks!
Good question. :)
Let me know if you find a way to potty train a pig.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
We dumped a load of wood chips into our pig pen, partially spilling onto their 'chosen' area. They promptly began to poo in a different corner and proceeded to enjoy rooting in the new chips. It may not be repeatable, but it happened for us.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had the same problem this year. Never did solve it. Next year I will rearrange things and hope for the best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I moved their food and water next to the gate on one side, and their shelter on the other. This seems to have done it (sorta). Probably because they weren't too settled in yet. I wonder if it would have worked if I really let them get established.

·
Wood Nymph / Toxophilite
1,615 Posts
Don't know about hogs, but with horses toiletting is how they mark territory. Never have figured out how to change their toiletting spot.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm having this problem now - but there's probably a solution I can't think of.

My pig tends to poop in an area, but insists on peeing where he eats, which is inside the stall. I have the food inside because I don't have a good deed bin solution that will stay dry outside yet. This may be part of my problem, but everyone here has said to move the food/water where they relieve themselves and that's exactly where he pees.

Ideas?

Peeing while he eats:
ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1414505740.412271.jpg

Outside area:
ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1414505806.229241.jpg

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
All three of my pigs go away from their feed area; the older gilts go all over the pasture but I do see a few areas where it is more concentrated. Once I harrow the pasture, it spreads out nicely.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts