Getting out the Basil seed

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by NicoleandBrian, Oct 15, 2006.

1. NicoleandBrian

NicoleandBrian Well-Known Member

My basil plant has gone to seed and I am picking out the seeds. I have 2 HUGE plants and was wondering if there is an easier way to get them out than picking apart the outside and picking out the seeds (from each "pod").

2. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

I wonder if you couldn't plant pieces of the pod? Or put the pods in a paper bag and shake like the dickens.

3. Derek from Bama

Derek from Bama New Member

I let the flower pods half-dry on the plant and save the whole thing in a paper sack. By the time I get ready to plant next year most of the seeds and chaff are separated, but if it hasn't separated completely a little twist between the fingers does the trick at planting time.

I've never had a problem with mold, but I do let them dry out in the bag for a while before I put them away for the winter. One side effect of this method is the wonderful Basil smell when you open the seed bag for spring planting.

D.,

4. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

If you have to pick them out, they probably aren't fully ripe yet! Best thing to do is the tie on a little bag (a man's handkerchief or some pantyhose) to the flower stem (not too tight) and from time to time give the stem a little shake. The seeds will collect in the bag, and it's just then a matter of allowing any moisture to dry off before you put them into storage.

5. NicoleandBrian

NicoleandBrian Well-Known Member

6. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Guys;I usually stomp out the seed(the rubber mat from your car is ideal for this)and then pass it through a sieve to get rid of the big bits of stalk.The great thing about basil is that it looks like the seeds will just fall out but they don,t.You can just leave them on the plant until the seed head is completely dry.-