Getting nervous about leaving my garden. Help

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by babysteps, Jul 5, 2006.

1. babysteps

babysteps living at 6800 feet

I will probably be leaving my garden for 4-5 days in the near future. I'm gettig nervous about the bugs, missed harvest and anything that might happen to it. Do you have any advice?

I've got tomatos comming on, green beans and blackberries, raspberries.

Am I parinoid?

I've thought about picking all the tomatos that look half way ready and bringing them in the air conditioned house.

I hand pick my hornworms and I'm getting nervous they might get away from me.

We just got a bunch of rain (PTL) so I'm hoping we will be ok water wise.

Any suggestion would be appreciated. :walk:

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Your idea of picking tomatoes seems good.

The hornworms, well... do you have any neighbors who have really strong stomachs and will pick them for you? If not, perhaps you could try some DE on those buggers. It's working great for me so far this year.

If you have neighbors who are willing to pick your beans and other ripening produce, it'll be healthier for the plants and production to have it picked, even if you do share it halfsies with your neighbor (or even give it all to him/her!)

Otherwise, just make sure you've picked, weeded, and mulched all you can, then go and enjoy your time away.

Happy trails!

Pony!

3. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

When you get back it will have grown up so much and os much will be ripe you will not recognize it.Also it will be full of weeds dontcha know when gardeners are away mor ethan 3 days the garden faries come dance on the plants and spread weed seeds?

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I didn't think that gardeners were allowed to be away from home more than 2 days in the growing season.

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

When I've had to be away I just asked a neighbor who's garden wasn't producing to come help himself. He kept it all picked and when I got home it just kept producing. No 'halves' or anything, it was more than worth it to not have the garden quit thru lack of harvesting.

6. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

I would pick the tomatoes the night before you leave and refrigerate them. When you get back, pull them out and set them on the window sill. Ripe in two days or so.

Bugs, if you are organically growing, find a friend. If you don't mind a pesticide, try a little sevin dust.

Beans, you should be okay until you get back. Raspberries, I can't help.

7. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm wondering what you would hope to accomplish by putting tomatoes in the fridge? That tends to make them mealy in texture. They're a tropical fruit, like bananas, so they'd probably be best left sitting out. When you're in a hurry to ripen them, putting them in a paper bag with an apple works great.

In my experience, the more beans are picked, the more they produce. The whole plant will greatly decrease activity or even shut down if the beans are allowed to become too large. That said, if the beans are picked very well before leaving (even removing the smaller ones), that should do it.

For the berries, I'm sure the birds will be glad to help. The feathered fiends around here sure are... :flame: They add insult to injury by leaving purple, runny calling cards. :(

Pony!

8. via media

via media Tub-thumper

You might want to lay down newspaper/mulch if watering is a concern. It could also help keep the weed faeries at bay :)

I like what Cyngbaeld said about letting the neighbor keep it picked down for you. You haven't lost anything by giving it all to him (because you'd lose it anyway) and he'll probably go out of his way to take extra care of the garden...maybe even pull a hornworm or two.

/VM

9. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Just go and enjoy yourself and forget about the garden for such a short period of time! If you really are paranoid, cover your plants with some mosquito netting to stop birds and other thieves from stealing your ripe tomatoes - and/or invite your neighbour to garden-sit.

10. babysteps

babysteps living at 6800 feet

Thanks for such great advice and encouragement! I've got a neighbor who might come.

I think we will be gone such a short time that picking tomatoes early the night before and leaving them in an air-conditioned house will do the trick. I'll pick down beans (which are almost done-we've two second crops on the way) and get the neighbors to come pick.

I think the tomatoes are strong enough that if I go over them really well before we leave and get those worms and eggs that they shouldn't do too much damage. Then when I get back go over them again real good. :hobbyhors

I've been mulching, mulching, mulching.

We've given up the first bit of sweet corn (our first attempt) to the deer and 'coons. Husband is investing in a paint gun and wants to give them some warning shoots.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Christine :walk: