Getting my Obers on Monday!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by manygoatsnmore, May 29, 2005.

1. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Memorial Day Monday will find dd13 and I on the road to Monroe, WA to pick up my 2 new Oberhasli doelings, possibly a little buckling, too. We'll get to visit with other goat people and see the rest of the herd. I first saw the Udderly Crazy herd at a local open AGDA show and they are just awesome animals. Very correct and milky. I reserved the doelings months ago (before they were even born), and I can't wait to bring them home! Only an idiot would make plans to deliberately go for a 320 mile round trip at the end of a holiday weekend....or some one who is ga-ga over goats. :D

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

What fun! And what a facinating breed. It is intriging to raise something a bit rare and offbeat. Not too many Oberhasli breeders around. Keep us posted!....Diane

3. SherrieT

SherrieT State of Confusion

What a fun road trip for you and your daughter. Please post pictures when you get back.

Sherrie

4. manygoatsnmore

Well, it was a long day, but it was worth it. I ended up picking up 3 Oberhaslis, 2 doelings and a buckling. Just awesome looking kids. I'll try to post pics in a day or so. I wasn't going to get the buck, and just buy some semen for AI instead, but this little guy was so nice, and out of a very milky line, that I just couldn't resist. So, in a few years, when I'm sure he's living up to his potential, I will probably be offering breeding service in SW WA. Anyone out there interested? :haha:

5. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Sounds like you did pretty well, glad to hear it. We have obers...and love them. We also have a nubian but the obers are the "family favorite" here. They just have wonderful personallities. good luck with your new goat family.

Belinda

6. lmoliver

lmoliver Member

I'm an Oberhasli breeder, too. Welcome to my world. Now you need to join the Yahoo group, OberhasliTalk, that's where all the action is. So, now do you want to "talk goats." I'm up for it. What are the pedigrees on your buck and does?

You know that the national show is out there this year, don't you? I wouldn't miss it if I were you.

Linda Oliver, Lindisfarme
    Lewisburg, Ohio

7. manygoatsnmore

Oh, I definitely will check out the yahoo group! I love to talk goats, especially to folks who have been doing this longer and more in depth that I have! We've had goats off and on for years, but only started moving up to decent show quality animals in the last few years as my dd13 is showing 4-H. We've been talking about starting to do some open shows, but haven't taken the plunge yet. We have our ADGA memberships and herd names. She has Alpines, Nubians, a LaMancha, and soon-to-be-recorded grades. I wanted something she wasn't raising, and I love the looks of the bay beauties, and the ones we bought come from nice lines, good linear appraisal scores and on test for milk. I also like Saanens, as the ones we've had and others we've known have just been sweeties. I like the high milk production, the gentleness, and I just like the shape of their heads and the expression in their eyes. :rolleyes:

The national show comes between our two fairs, and we do plan on making the trip over for at least a couple days if I can get someone to milk for me. It's a long drive as Spokane's at the opposite side of the state from us. I've even toyed with the idea of taking a commuter flight from Portland to Spokane so that we'd have enough time to get there, see some of the show, and get back by milking time, lol! I'd really like to see some of the animals and breeders I've been hearing about. I'd also like to arrange in advance to get straws of semen and take my tank over to pick them up. Don't think I can take that on a plane, though. The other plan would be to trailer our milkers over with us, camp out, and see several days of the show, since I can find someone to feed more easily than someone to milk. One way or another, I want to be there!!!

edited to add: I don't have the pedigrees in front of me right now, but they came from Udderly Crazy in Monroe. Carolyn Hoeker is the breeder. She has a website at UdderlyCrazy.com I'll post pics and pedigrees in a few days when things calm down around here.

8. Mrs_stuart

My dd is a member of that board too!! She seems to like it too.

Belinda

9. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

So, do you have them yet? Pics???? Yea for you! Hope you had a good trip.

10. doralee

doralee Member

My Lamancha just birthed 2 doelings from a registered Oberhasli daddy.
    They are a sweet breed.
    My goats are for family use and not registered.
    The babies are beautiful. Much lighter than the oberhasli daddy, but the markings are stll there. One of the babies has a little white marking on either side of her face. very pretty. And they have ears! little tiny ones!
    They were born early Sun morning. Already dancing and twirling around... In between naps in front of the heat lamp!
    What is Oberhasi milk like?

11. TimandPatti

TimandPatti Texas

Awwwwwww !!!
    I just went out and checked with the one lady who breeds Obers in my area, she has a waiting list for them. :(

12. manygoatsnmore

Check out the Udderly Crazy website www.udderlycrazy.com ; I think Carolyn still has a few to sell, and she will ship. The prices are fairly steep ($350 and up), but they are LA'd and on test, and from a national show quality herd, so they're a good all around package. She also has semen for AI. I am really pleased with mine, and Yes, I'll get those pics posted when I find my card reader to download the pics from the camera. :rolleyes: I'm having plumbing problems and I feel like my whole house is topsy-turvey from getting behind the fridge and into my closet (hot water heater is in there of all places), plus we're moving beds around, and trying to fit our new loveseat into the livingroom while we try to get rid of the old furniture, yadda, yadda, yadda.... :bash: ...okay, rant over. I'll get off here and try to get things squared away and find that cardreader!!!!

13. Mrs_stuart

It is funny how the obers are hard to get in some places and around here, we cant find anyone who wants one. My dd has her first babies this year, one doeling and one buckling...she has decided to keep the buck (we took him up to have him cut today) and she is using him for a cart goat... she wants to sell the father buck and the sister. The mom gives us a gallon of milk or more per day. These are great goats but around here no one wants to pay for a real dairy goat.

Belinda