Getting Leave time while in Iraq?

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by mjl, Aug 14, 2006.

1. mjl

mjl Well-Known Member

I won't go into all the details. It's a tough family situation. I understand
    my son was deployed to Iraq around July 1st this year - no he didn't call or write me. When I tried to arrange visitation with my 3 y/o grand daughter for December - we're in different states. The woman he's currently married to (not granddaughter's mother) told me he has leave time accumulated and he might be back for Christmas! :confused: So she could not commit to dates.

I thought military deployed to Iraq only got leave for family emergencies/deaths, etc.

They've told me some whoppers in the past :flame:

So is this just another one? I'm thinking it is.

Thanks - Maggie

2. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

A lot of folks deployed to Iraq get to come home for 2 weeks normal leave time during their deployment, some of the folks from my unit got to.

This is different from compassionate leave from a family illness, death of family member, etc.

3. mjl

mjl Well-Known Member

Thanks Hammer. I always have to check out anything these two say. Their track records are amazing. I have to wonder how they will react when the kids start lying.

4. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

My husband was able to come home for 2 weeks after he'd been there around 6 or 7 months.

Hope you get to see your little grand daughter. Will keep your son in our thoughts.

All best wishes,

Pauline

5. cavscout

cavscout Member

the current army policy is every soldier gets 2 weeks leave during thier tour in iraq.

6. BillHoo

BillHoo Well-Known Member

Not only does every soldier get 2 weeks leave midway thru their tour in Iraq. But if they choose not to take their leave (so they get paid in cash for the time after they come home), they must have a letter signed by the Commanding General giving them permission to stay in Iraq instead of taking their leave time.

This is to cut down on depression and suicide.

I just took 10 days leave myself. I was also given 4 days travel time on the way over and the way back. Flights into some of the bases can be dicey, hence the extra travel buffer.

7. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Or they can take R&R in the region midway through tour, instead of coming back to the states to visit family. This is the option we chose since we knew it would be harder on the children to have to let Daddy go again after we all just aclimated to him being home.